Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Eyes Wide Shut

Reality ...  Check~!  Some of you don't like to read my blog because it contains some sadness.  Well, guess what, its reality, for sure!  Here are some observations from this morning.  There is one good one, so read at your own risk.  It is damned cold out there.  My fingers were beginning to go numb the first 15 minutes on my trip.  You ask, why don't you wear gloves?  I don't wear gloves because at each of my stops, I have to thaw out the water bowls, and to do this, I have to pour water over the bowls, and then pop out the ice, and pour in the hot water.  This gets on my hands, and gets the gloves wet, and then my fingers are in real trouble.  Hence, I don't even bother.  Secondly, there are four kitties that ran up to me at my first stop this morning, I have placed their bowls on the side of a house, right next to the other neighbor's driveway.  They must see the bowls, and its certainly not a location I can place a board to protect the food from the elements - I just have to do the best I can and hope four people will say they will adopt each one.  Right. 

Second, Big Red was waiting for me this morning, freezing.  I wish he would use his pea-sized brain and use the shelters, I pray he does and just runs out when he hears my car each morning.  Otherwise, he is just sitting there, freezing.  I have not heard from the girl who advertised for cats for her barn.  Hoping she is just busy.  It doesn't look promising, as she hasn't returned calls or e-mail.  Poor Big Red. 

Third, at my Short Street spot, and this is the good one, someone placed a board to protect the little carrier and food dishes I have under a porch on that street.  I was stunned this morning to find that!  During the summer, if you were to drive down this street, to me its the scariest street, mostly because of the way these people live, with trash all over their yards, and the houses are pretty scary.  Its not a street I would walk down without some hesitation, even though its a very short street, hence its name!  But at 5:30 am., its pretty safe, and dark, and there is a black kitty waiting for me there every morning, so there is no hesitation for me to go there each day.  But for someone to place the board like that, I was SHOCKED.  And grateful!  I must have a friend there, right?   

But at my second to last spot, there is a kitty that is so sick, its eyes are sealed shut due to the crust freezing them closed.  Its SO VERY SAD.   I don't know how it can even see to run from me when I pull back the board that it sleeps behind.  I do have soft warm blankets, and its fairly dry so it doesn't get exposed to the elements, now, and there is a nice igloo dog house with straw stuffed in it, and food each day, but what else can I do.  This is where my friend Nancy has now rescued two cats from last week.  I have rescued countless animals, including Buttons, the kitty my sister took.  We have also TNR'd a few there, but what can I do?  I don't have room to care for another cat, nor the money to get it vetted.  I must just do the best I can do.  Thats all I can do.  I feel so hopeless sometimes.

5 comments:

  1. Well I enjoy reading your blog. yes there is some sadness but as you said it is reality. And unfortunately until people start being responsible and having their pets spayed/neutered, the problem will continue. It is sad! I have taken in a few cats in the past that were in a barn. Some were injured, some were pregnant. The view at this barn was well they are barn cats....so they didn't have their shots and they weren't spayed/neutered. I lost my beloved horse in 2007 so I do not frequent that barn very often any more. And honestly it sickened me to see kitten after kitten arrive there. They were fed but never taken to the vet.

    On another note, I heard about your blog thru Sharyn (you met her and her daughter Jessica) I live in Syracuse. I have two kitties of my own!

    Do you have a wish list of things you may need? what type of cat food do you feed?

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose! The famous Rose! I heard about you through Sharon and Jess! Thanks so much for reading my ramblings. Its so very hard to do each day, and getting notes like yours feeds my fuel! Thank you! I can ALWAYS use food. Dry and large cans of wet! You are an angel Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep pushing forward Janine! Wish I lived near you. If I did, I would love to help you out. But since I do not, I will get some food together for you and send it with Sharyn ASAP. any update from the lady that needs barn cats? Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janine, let's get this sick one off the streets. Can he/she wait til Sat? I can get it treated and maybe that one could be one of the roomers in my shop?? Let's talk. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Picked up a case of canned food for you. Will send it with Sharyn if she stops in the office tomorrow. Rose

    ReplyDelete