Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Cat, The Rat, and Joe

Yes, I saw a cat, but no, did not see a rat. I just thought it was a good title. I actually saw close to 40 cats this morning.  I also saw an oppossum but that didn't fit well in the title.  I did see Joe, Wally's 'nephew'.  He was out hustling - or just having fun drinking at 5:30 am. and hanging out at the bootlegger's house trying to hustle a dollar for a beer.  Very innocent.  I like Joe.  He wouldn't hurt me, and is very nice to me.  The oppossum has been hanging out at my last spot, where I have a decent shelter built.  He has been caught sleeping in the covered cat litter box that I have a cushion in - I actually had to lift the box yesterday - very carefully, I know... - lift it over the board, and toss him out.  They stay still when frightened.  They won't move.  But there he was again this morning - he crawled under the crate I have set up to keep stuff off the ground, and he wouldn't budge, so I am sure the cats had to share their meal with him.

I have a good friend who has offered to pay for the clinic to TNR two cats tomorrow.  Thats the sweetest and most kindest offer.  Really it is.  I go out and feed homeless cats 365 days a year.  When I go, I am there briefly talking to them, petting them if I can, and then I turn around and leave, and go onto my next stop, all in all 13 locations.  What I see is heartbreaking each day.  So when I am done with that last spot, I go home and get ready for the next 23 hours.  I try to put this in the back of my mind, because it is very stressful both physically and mentally.  I also have a job that is extremely stressful, and people are getting let go left and right.  I don't know one day to the next if I will have a job.  I know I am a good worker, but that doesn't seem to matter these days.  So, my point being, I don't trap cats well.  There are so many factors involved.  If I got two cats, I would have to stack up the traps on top of each other in my small back seat., they would tip, and the cats are scared enough.  Then I have to keep them on my porch until - if I can get someone to bring them to the clinic at a certain time.  They then need to be picked up by 2 pm. - if  I can get someone to pick them up - and then the problem for me is bringing them back to their neighborhood after I have put in a 9 hour day at work, and letting them go.  I know that my friend runs a rescue group, and mostly gets the cats she adopts out from the shelter where they would most likely be euthanized.  But I am a one woman show who has to do the legwork to get them, and its very very hard and stressful for me.  My dream would be to have enough money to pay someone on a full time basis to do trapping for me.  Serious.  That would be my dream.  I know these cats will get pregnant if I don't get them.  I know that.  I don't want to be reminded of that because I know it.  But I can only do so much.  I need help!

No comments:

Post a Comment