Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Rain in Spain...

"Happy are they who bear their share of the world's pain: in the long run they will know more happiness than those who avoid it."  Jesus (J.B. Phillips translation)


I just love that.  Thank you Jessica for sharing it with me.  I also want to thank your Mom for her donation of all that wet food.  I use 12 cans each day, so I am so grateful for her donation!

I ran into the very ignorant mother again this morning.  Somehow we got on the same schedule that she walks her daughter somewhere, and I am feeding the cats under the tree.  I picked up a little guy this morning from there, I am determined to get most from that corner.  There is NO shelter.  I had to feed them in the pouring rain.  The little guy is in the forefront of the picture posted, black and white.  I will try to rescue the other brown tabby kitten tomorrow.  I must get these young ones out of there.  This woman - I don't know what she said when I said 'goodmorning' to her, but we both went at it again.  She said something about not feeding the cats, and I yelled after her she should be teaching her daughter about compassion, and I said THIS is compassion!  Of course she said to mind my own business, I am sure I set her off, but if she would only give me a few minutes to educate her.  I told her I had just taken another from this corner.  I would love to tell her she can use my trap or carrier to get a few and take them herself to the 'pound', because its HER street, and HER problem!  I am just there to relieve their suffering a little bit, by not allowing them to starve to death.  If anyone can foster one of these beautiful creatures of God, I promise you we will find them a home, they just need a temporary home immediately!

The other picture is of Big Red, at another stop I make.  I've been feeding him for years, and he has been sick and injured for years.  I should have relieved his suffering a long time ago, but he continues to rub against my leg while waiting for his food, so that's a hard decision to make. 

I haven't told you, but Saturday morning, at one of my spots, I saw a red and white kitty come up very hungry for food.  A bit skittish, but allowed me to touch his neck while he ate.  I then noticed his tail looked odd in the dark, so shined my flashlight on him and it looked like most of his tail had been severed and the remaining tail skinned.  I looked at his behind and it looked a mess.  I immediately got my carrier, and was able to grab him and place him in it, drive the the Emergency Clinic, and asked that he be euthanized.  This was very very hard for me to do.  This cat had to be suffering with these injuries, and I am thankful for the vet telling me that this cat would thank me if he could.  I was devastated.  But so thankful that this cat came up to me.  It would have suffered greatly if I had not been there for him.  There are times when this kind of action is necessary, and I challenge anyone who disagrees.

2 comments:

  1. Janine, I linked this post to my Facebook page asking for foster volunteers. Awareness is the first step, right? Keep up the good work! Mom's already collecting more cans of food, this time from Wegmans. They have 13.5 oz cans of their own brand, Buju and Ziggie, for 69 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buju & Ziggie is 40 cents for that size can at Wegmans

    ReplyDelete