Monday, October 31, 2011

Rufus

Well, I rescued the second kitten off the street.  There were/are a total of three that are friendly with me, I rescued Oreo a few days ago, and now Rufus yesterday, with one more to go.  I cannot get her until I can find foster or adoption homes for Midnight, Oreo and Rufus.  I am at my highest max in rescuing cats now.  Rufus has severe upper respiratory infection and his mama, Emma, has not been around for a few days now, so I decided it was high time I got Rufus outta there.  Poor little guy.  And he is not the easiest to give pills to for his sickness.  He hides under the bed - I believe if cats are born outdoors, they will forever be somewhat scared.  My Cinnamon and Sugar were born to a feral mom in a friend's garage nearly 14 years ago, and are still scared when someone new comes in the house. Nevertheless, Rufus is adorable, about 5 mos old, and I promise to get a picture of him soon to post here.  Its getting cold out, and I spent the past two weekend mornings getting my spots somewhat 'winterized'.  I got a note last week about towels vs. straw, and wanted to comment.  Some of my shelter are so rickety, that snow gets in them.  The straw would get wet, and I would have to keep replacing that.  At least the towels are somewhat warm and for sure they are dry when I put them down, so I have to do whats best for the location.  I would love to use straw for all, but its not always feasible depending on how bad the shelter is, and I don't have many good ones. 

The picture attached is of my Boris.  I rescued Boris around six years ago behind Lorraine's restaurant on Culver near Main Street.  It was around 5 below in the winter.  I was feeding cats behind the restaurant under a service truck, and only had a box with blankets for the cats to keep warm.  He came around for a week straight, and started to rub against me, and thats when I knew I had to get him out of there.  When I got him home, his belly was completely hairless, and I thought that he might be a lost cat and had just had surgery or something there.  I didn't know cats can lick their fur right off if they have 'issues'!  Anyways, after sending pictures of him to all the vets in the area, I knew he was mine.  After having him checked out at my vet, he turned out to be positive for FIV, its like AIDS in cats.  His immune system is low, and the most likely way it would spread to another cat is through a severe bite wound.  But, thank the Lord he has been a good brother to his fellow sisters and brothers in the house and there has never been too much of a fight between them.  He is such a good boy.  I love my Boris.

No comments:

Post a Comment