Thursday, October 20, 2011

Never EVER a Dull Moment

Wow, do I have stories, or do I have stories.  First off, I sat on my couch this morning, sipping my vanilla flavored Starbuck's coffee that I had just brewed - I indulge myself occasionally - looking out the window and watching it downpour with rain and lightning, along with listening to the thunder just moments after the lightning, thinking to myself, well, I'll wait another few minutes. I did that for half an hour, but it just kept coming.  I finally went out - it was still pouring - at 5:30 - knowing I was going to be soaked again another morning.  Luckily, as I started to drive down the already flooded streets, the rain started to let up a bit, so I was somewhat relieved. 

There were all the normal things this morning, the soaked and dripping wet towels I had to pick up and replace with dry ones, and the bowls I placed down the day before had to be replaced due to the winds we also experienced along with the all day and night rains...  It started off just being a normally quiet morning until I was going to my second to last stop when I saw a body in the road.  As I sat there in my car at the corner, disbelieving what I was seeing, I saw some people surround the body and it looked like they were struggling and trying to pick up the body to move it.  I then shoved my hand in my very wet pocket looking for my phone, and immediately dialed 911.  I started to choke up as I told the dispatcher that the body looked lifeless, and that these people were trying to move it.  I told her my location and name, all the while choking up - now I don't know about you, but when I see a lifeless body on a wet street face down, its pretty emotional.  And here I work at a hospital.  Anyways, so then after a minute or two, I started to drive toward the already moving body being carried away from me - and now I could make out who was carrying.  A woman about my age, and two young kids.   I opened my window and said 'whats going on' and she said it was her daughter and she had had a seizure.  She - the body - was still completely lifeless.  Here was her mother and younger siblings quietly and calmly carrying this girls body home.  It was surreal.  Finally, after what seemed like 10 minutes, I heard sirens.  As the police arrived, and I again choked up explaining what happened, and which house these people were going into.  I think I am just a super emotional person these days!  Anyways, I am assuming the girl was OK, I saw a few ambulances pull up.  For a split second, after knowing it wasn't a shooting, I felt almost guilty for calling the police.  Remember, just for a split second I felt guilty.  I had all these police and rescue vehicles out just for a call I made.  But then I realized that it could have turned out really bad, where the girl did actually die, or it could have been a shooting.  So I guess I did do the right thing!  But boy, that was some crazy stuff to see in the wee hours of the morning!

1 comment:

  1. You did the right thing! Police and ambulance crews would always say they'd rather be safe than sorry, especially in the case of a sick child.

    BTW, I sent you an email last night. I hope it didn't disappear into the ethernet! I got your email this morning and hope to hear from you this evening. :)

    ReplyDelete