Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Humane Society

I reported a dog being mistreated last week, Wednesday I believe, and the 311 operator said - and I quote - animal control doesn't respond to this so you will have to call the Humane Society and she gave me the number - 223-6500. I called them and left a message - I called the next day to repeat that I would like a follow up call to make certain they received me initial message, because I hadn't heard back from them. Friday was a vacation day for me from work, and I did forget about it. Yesterday, Monday, I had a message waiting for me at work from Humane Society, and when I called - the woman didn't tell me squat except to say that it was an ongoing investigation. I kept asking her what she meant, and she kept repeating herself, and telling me she couldn't tell me anything. She also told me they had from 24 to 72 hours to investigate a complaint. I was astounded. Can you imagine, someone calls in a suspected animal abuse, and it could take DAYS to investigate it? The animal would have long suffered and died since then. What is wrong with this picture? I am not trying to paint a bad picture of the Humane Society, they are the only ones we have right now, and the only one I can turn to when I feel the need to, but Iwish they were a bit more lax with complainants, the good guys, the guys who are reporting the bad guys! I need answers!

1 comment:

  1. I know how frustrating it is, but it is not their fault. They only have 2 or 3 officers to cover all of Monroe AND surrounding counties. The problem is that we need funding to create more positions to have more officers to be able to investigate the reports. Hugs, Julie

    ReplyDelete