Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Raining Cats and Dogs!



Man o Man, its wet out there!  I HATE RAIN!!!  I filled up bowls underneath a few trees this morning, for cats not on my normal route – the ones in the dark corners hiding in the dark that I see when I shine my headlights on them as I am driving…  Those bowls are now soaked and so is the food.  I feel bad.  I just want to set shelters all over the city so that these cats have somewhere warm and dry they can at least CRAWL into.  Instead, you have to worry about people coming along and destroying those little shelters.  I was thinking…  what kind of person is it that would intentionally see kittens – older kittens albeit – and remove their food bowls.  Do they say to themselves …  I could care less about that kitten, let it starve. No one is going to set food down on my property for it to eat.  Let it starve!  What kind of person does this.  How was this person raised.  Obviously with a parent without normal compassion for suffering of humans or animals. 

On Saturday morning, I was driving down Bay Street to feed at Syd and Johnny’s Auto, one of my normal spots, I saw a girl standing on the corner – didn’t think twice about it, there are so many prostitutes in this area – but then I spotted a cat standing next to her.  I parked, opened the door, and started to call for it.  Sheryl was with me, so she went to the side of the place to do the usual feeding, while I watched the girl cross the street, kitten in tow.  I thought I heard her say ‘food’, and I called out that I had some.  She started to walk my way, kitten in tow.  She said the cat was hers, and that she was staying with her mom and her mom didn’t like cats and she was sneaking it into her room.  As I was giving her some of my cat food, and lecturing her about how kitten needed to be neutered (about 6 months old it was), I recall her being very sweet.  We had met the year prior, I don’t really remember, but she remembered talking to me.   She then mentioned about the cat going to the bathroom and how it had accidents on the floor in her room, and I told her what she needed to do – get a box or something, and get some litter!  I told her I would bring her a bag of litter and leave it on the side of the building for the next morning, if she could find a box or something.  She must have because the litter was gone on Sunday.  I gave her my card and told her to call me when she is ready – she told me she couldn’t keep the kitten, but wasn’t ready to surrender it, when I told her I could find a good home for it.  Sweet kitty, but a huge belly, indicating it was full of worms.   And yes, it was a male.

She said she had argued with her mother, telling her she had to give up her childhood fears of cats – which proved my point that there are a lot of African American women that have a fear of cats, and its generational because the children hear their mothers and aunties and sisters and cousins express their dislike for them.  And on and on it goes.. This girl, Angie, obviously didn’t listen to her mother, and realized how sweet cats really are.  Sad, really. 

I have not been to see my rescued kitties PARSLEY, HERMIE or CONNOR, and feel very bad.  Either I've had stuff going on in the short window of time I have during the two day weekends, or foster mom Carol has been busy.   All three need a permanent home desperately.  I shouldn’t say desperate – they are not in danger – but they lack the amount of human interaction the way they would have it in a home.  Please consider opening your hearts and homes to these sweet boys.   Please consider so that I can rescue more that are still on the street - they are out in this weather and would love to have a warm loving home.  And of course, don't forget my latest – TIMBERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!  Sweet boy.  We weren’t sure if he got along with other cats – what do you think?  J


TIMBER - Top Left


We also have several kittens!  Sweet Frankie – one of the woodpile kittens - went to his new home this past Saturday.  The others, Olive, Woody, Spencer, Jessie and Ellie – and don’t forget MOO MOO!!!  

Have a great day!

"Animals, they are one of the most beautiful
gifts we have and, you know, if there are 
people that have compassion, there are 
very few people that put their money into
animal rescue organizations.  And if there is 
someone that has that passion, animals
need all the help they can get."






2 comments:

  1. I love Timber! He looks like a sweet doofus. LOL!! I wish I could have him. Someone out there will be very lucky to adopt him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree KM !
    Timber looks totally huggable !
    I wish I could take him too !

    ReplyDelete