Tuesday, July 28, 2015

TNR Tuesday!

Oh whatta morning!  I got a text from a friend who feeds at Niagara, where the white kitty had three white and one black babies in the spring.  She said she and another woman trapped last night and got two pregnant females.  I am hoping one is the white one, who IS pregnant, but I haven't seen her in three days now.  But I saw baby white kitten this morning.  Just one.  There is an apartment building across the street where there is a nasty man who won't allow the multiple cats that live over there to be fed through a gate.  The apartment complex is Susan B. Anthony, between Niagara and 1st Streets on Central Park.  The owners/manager of the place needs to be contacted and advised of the situation, so that the people trying to help, by getting these cats fixed, can do so in peace.  The dozen or so cats that are at this location need to be spayed, fed and sheltered.  Bottom line.  We need these ignorant people to wake up.

I started off not quite sure of my plan for TNR today.  Well, I take that back.  I had figured on Brenda from Second Street's PREGNANT for the SECOND TIME cat - as she promised me yesterday morning she would be ready to put the cat in the carrier when I came around and let me take it to be spayed today.  I knew in the back of my mind that this probably wouldn't happen, but I did try.  I pulled up, sure enough, she is sitting there in the front, with the cat, and a couple of other women.  She said 'you ain't taking my cat and having her babies killed."  She agreed yesterday, when she was sober.  Today, you could tell she wasn't quite as sober.  After a bit of pleading, arguing and telling her some facts about the situation with kittens in this city (again), I got into my car and drove off, disgusted in her, telling her I would never help her again.  (I had given her a full bag of cat food again yesterday after she asked me for some).  This kind of mentality drives me crazy.  I can understand not wanting these unborn kittens aborted, but there are many other HUGE factors that make this the right and humane thing to do.  If you question it, let me know, I will give you some of those on the next blog.

Trixie from Third

Markie Mark

Markie Mark from Melville

I trapped a beautiful sweet red boy with some injuries to his face on Melville, so I started off the morning right.  One down, one to go.  After realizing I wasn't getting Brenda's cat, I went to Third Street, and behind me heard MEOW.  I looked, and it was a cat that walked up to me behind Second Street last week, with a pretty pink collar on, and had recently given birth.  Sure enough, there she as on Third and Central, and I grabbed her.  Hooray!  So off they go to get fixed, and put back tomorrow.  It KILLS me to do, but I must.  Unless someone will take them!  :(

Well, if anyone read my blog from a day or two ago (or was it yesterday?), I mentioned how I applied for a garden permit with the city of Rochester between Julio's house and Tim's house, because neither of them really want the cats there, but that is their home, and I will do whatever I have to to help these animals.  So, I go to the NET office yesterday on my lunch and bring the application I filled out and faxed early last week, because the officers on Sunday told me this might speed things up if I went there.  I did, and I met a kind older black woman who after a few minutes of conversation - telling her what I wanted to do (plant a pretty garden in this bleak area of that street) she said 'oh, you are the cat lady!', which I chuckled ...  I do not consider myself the cat lady.  No no no.  She went on to tell me how bad the area she lives in is.  Anyways, she told me that if I didn't hear anything soon, to call another woman at such and such number.

I got home from work and guess what was in the mail???????????????????  The permit!!!  WOO HOO!!!  I haven't had time to process this, but I am putting out a plea now for help and volunteers.  It wouldn't take more than an hour of your time to help me establish a raised bed in the middle of this lot, add soil, some perennials for blooming in the spring, and some mulch perhaps.  But I need to work on this soon.  Any one have a rototiller?  Anyone willing to donate some topsoil?  Anyone willing to donate some bulbs and plants for right now?  Anyone willing to meet me there some Sunday morning SOON and help me?  I would be forever grateful to you for this help, as it means that I can now be on that property legally, and won't have my shelters trashed without someone being arrested for vandalism (Tim).   Please consider helping me, I really need it.

Have a great day.

"To be hopeful in bad times is based on the fact that human history is not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act. And if we do act, in however small a way, we don't have to wait for some grand Utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory."

1 comment:

  1. I will help you Janine, as you have helped me. Let me know. We have got to help each other to tame this epidemic.

    ReplyDelete