Thursday, July 16, 2015

420,000

There's another number for you to think about.


Well, its two days before my fundraiser, and I am nervous!  Nervous to see and meet so many people!  But thrilled to show you a good time.  The food and entertainment are worth the $10 cover.  Thank you all in advance for coming.  I have tomorrow off, and there is just so much to do.  I can't tell you how nice the gift baskets that have been dropped off are.  Pretty awesome.  I have some very talented and generous friends out there.  Just wait til you see them!

I had a spot at the clinic booked today, so I headed out nervously (always) because I couldn't figure out where to leave the trap.  There are SO many.  Out of my 16 locations that I drive to and feed every day, there are maybe .......actually there are TWO that don't have new cats, and the ones there are already fixed.  That's how bad it is now.  So I had to decide what was more urgent.  And what was feasible for me.  So, I set a trap hesitantly on Melville (which isn't even one of my normal spots).  There are a ton of cats around there, but some are friendly, and I didn't want to take the chance that they could be already fixed (the females, its hard to tell unless you can feel that they have prominent nipples underneath - nursing, or have nursed before).  But I set the trap anyways.  When I came back after a few minutes, the trap door was down but no one was in there.  I then decided I should place it at the next spot on Parsells that again, isn't one of my regular spots.  I set that, and headed off to do the Parsells spot up ahead behind this guys house (he allows me to shelter and feed back there).  I knew there was a young fluffy cat that was pregnant earlier this year, pretty girl, that was hanging around Petey and Paulie, the two reds I regularly feed.  In fact those two run to me each morning to say hello!  I brought the carrier with me just in case.  Set it down with door open.  Sure enough, there was the little girl, inside the shelter, hungry.  I poured the food, the other guys ate, and she slowly walked to the food, and I slowly worked my hand around the back of her neck and GRABBED her!  Gotcha!  I walked with her to the carrier and placed her in it, and here is Pixie!  She is a sweet little girl that will never have a second litter!  I have no idea what happened to her first babies.  Never saw or heard them.  But I know I will dread returning her to the streets tomorrow morning after today's surgery.  Here is Pixie from Parsells:

PIXIE
If my math is correct, I am able to TNR two more kitties at the clinic, and after that I have nothing.  The fee is $50 per cat.  This gives them their rabies and distemper shots, flea med, and deworming, and of course spay and neuter.  If I could trap three days a week, I would do it.  Its just so needed.  But there isn't enough availability for the few days they do it each week, and I don't have the money for it.  The City should be funding this.  Not us!  This is THEIR problem!  But in the meantime, your $50 donation will help one cat - and here is some actual math:  420,000 cats
The average number of litters a fertile cat can produce in one year is 3. The average number of kittens in a feline litter is 4–6. In seven years, one female cat and her offspring can theoretically produce 420,000 cats.

So your donation will save 420,000 cats from being born.  Help me to help them.  Call 585-288-0600- Rochester Community Animal Clinic on Bay Street, Rochester, NY and make a donation under my name. Thank you so much in advance.  And the cats thank you too.  These females will not have to suffer childbirth under a bush again.

In other news, Laura was busy trying to trap hernia kitty on Ferndale and Webster, but I don't think we will have much luck.  Crazy Maryleigh seems to have a way with these cats, and Laura saw H-Kitty walking back to ML's house the next street down - Webster Crescent.  I also heard through the grapevine that ML has been arrested in the past on animal cruelty charges. How is she allowed to have animals in her home after that?  Something must be done.  Humane Society must do something.  I drove over to ML's house to survey the area on my way home, and spotted three other black cats, an orange and white cat, and several others hiding around there.

Its insane.  She's insane.  This whole situation that has gone on far too long is insane.

Lets not forget Squirt.  She needs a home too.



Have a good day everyone!


2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the fundraiser! It will be a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to give the clinic's name that you need donations at. Is it RCAC on Bay Street?

    ReplyDelete