Friday, May 9, 2014

TGIF


Yes, its finally here.  Even though I don't get a day off from feeding the homeless cats in Rochester, I get two days off from work.  I am grateful. 

I was just snuggling with my latest, unplanned rescue, George - yes, that is what I named 'princess', who turned out to be a 'prince' after his vet visit the day before yesterday.  As I kissed his face, I told him how very lucky he was - how warm and safe and comfortable he was now, and how good he has it for the rest of his short life.  He has the best of both worlds, I told him, as I opened the windows to the room he is still confined to, because he can sleep on warm, cushy blankets, and still enjoy the birds and outdoor life through a window screen.

I saw way too many this morning that don't enjoy that comfort.  They look happy to the naked eye, but those cats are under a ton of stress.  They are dodging glass, cars, people, predators, etc.  Constantly have to be on guard.

I will be moving stuff to the empty lot two houses down on Hayward on Sunday.  I pray the kitties know enough to go there for their shelter and food.  I did not see the black and white kitty I had to return there yesterday after being neutered.  I pray he is safe, along with the other kitties I was used to see there, before this... 'person' next door moved my stuff.  He has no idea how much stress it has caused the cats, and myself included.  Its a dark lot, full of dirt and glass, in which I will have to trudge to each day to get to the shelters.  I will have to be quiet, and on guard.  Curses! 

Rescued Cat
Once I was a lonely cat, just looking for a home.
I had no place to go, no one to call my own.
I wandered up and down the streets, in rain in heat and snow.
I ate whatever I could find, I was always on the go.
My skin would itch, my feet were sore, my body ached with pain.
And no one stopped to give a pat, or gently say my name.
I never saw a loving glance, I was always on the run.
For people thought that hurting me was really lots of fun.
Then one day I heard a voice so gentle, kind and sweet,
and arms so soft reached down to me and took me off my feet.
"No one again will hurt you," was whispered in my ear.
"You'll have a home to call your own where you will know no fear."
"You will be dry, you will be warm, you'll have enough to eat,"
"and rest assured that when you sleep, your dreams will all be sweet."
I was afraid I must admit, I've lived so long in fear.
I can't remember when I let a human come so near.
As she tended to my wounds, and bathed and brushed my fur,
I lay there feeling loved, looking up at her.
           
  Now every night I say a prayer to all the gods that be.
"Thank you for the life I live and all you've given me.
But most of all protect the cats in the pound and on the street.
And send another person to lift them off their feet."

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

6 comments:

  1. Janine,

    Good luck finding George a forever loving home. Great Poem!! How so True and sad. Thank you for all your daily sacrifices so the homeless Cats can realize some tender loving care. You truly are the Cat Angel!!!!!!.

    Walt & Karon Simoni

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the poem Janine. I'm framing it so my kitties and I can enjoy it. Have a great weekend. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Nancy!!! It might make a great fundraiser if you could make it look nice! I would buy one for sure. Wondering who the author is??
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the poem too, Janine. It is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since George is friendly and fixed he may belong to someone. Don't you think you should put him back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he belongs to someone they should be charged with animal cruelty for the condition he is in, not given him back.

      Delete