Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Stress

First off, thank you everyone for your suggestions yesterday, to Boris' mom, one of my adopters, who is having behavioral issues with him.  I have passed everyone's comments along to her, in case she doesn't read the blog!  :)

The past 24 hours have been crazy. I have no idea how I got into this cat business, but its taken years off my life, stress wise.

I was on my way to Zumba last night when I noticed a message on my phone.  It was the owner of the house that I have been given verbal permission from years ago to feed cats on the side of this house that has rental apartments within it.  He didn’t say much, he found a note I had written, and was calling me.  I think he remembered me, he sounded kind.  I called him back and left a fairly detailed message, and that I needed his written permission to continue to feed there, due to the creep that bought the property next door to fix up for renting, wanting me out of there.  I await his call – everything hinders on his response, because in the meantime, the city wants me off their vacant lot that I moved my stuff to, out of kindness to this jerk named Sharief.

On my way back from Zumba last night, I received a call from Laura, who successfully trapped a female from Penn & 4th, who was releasing the kitty after having been spayed, and noticed all my stuff was piled up in front of this boarded up house.  I was sick to my stomach hearing this.  After trying to listen to Laura, and trying to drive at the same time, I finally came to my senses – I had become completely enraged in a seconds time, and couldn’t even pay attention to what she is saying.  I said to Laura, I must get a grip, and just put one foot in front of the other.  I could easily obsess over this, and lose a night’s sleep, worrying about the cats, and about the wonderful shelters I had here.  Kristin made a really nice one that probably kept quite a few cats alive this past brutal winter.  Everything was by the curb, waiting for Wednesday’s trash pick up.  When I pulled up there this morning, I managed to get a few of the totes in the car, and moved some stuff back behind the house in hopes of going back there and getting more – like some good boards, etc.  They piled a huge pile of debris on top of the nice brand new tarp someone donated to me, I was just sick to my stomach witnessing this.  All the cats that used these, and depended on these during storms, etc.  Its madness, how someone can come along and destroy stuff like this.  They tried to trash the totes that were lined with Styrofoam, obviously time and care were put into building these for the cats.  Sickening.  In the meantime, I must figure something out here.  Another problem to deal with.


Laura has committed to helping me get a grip on the new cats on my route – in getting them spayed and neutered, and this morning, as I had asked her, trying to pin point the pregnant and sick cats, she did get a kitty from Baldwin, pregnant, and another calico from Penn & 4th, possibly lactating.  Bless her heart.

Peggy from Penn & 4th

Bella from Baldwin


"Being strong doesn't always mean you have to fight the battle.  True strength is being adult enough to walk away from the nonsense with your head held high."

Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Janine. I am so sorry for all the stress this lifestyle causes you. It's beyond unfair that you have to battle with people just to help animals who have nothing. But I will help you battle anyway I can. Let's talk tonight, ok? I am keeping ym fingers crossed for you getting written permission from that guy. And we WILL figure something out tonight for the 4th/ pennsylvania situation. This is the reality of what you do unfortunately. But you are not entirely alone, although I know you often feel that way. Love you my friend. - Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you do is hard enough without having to deal with all of the unkindness that seems to be heaped on you. I wonder, do these mean people actually think they are getting rid of the "cat" problem by removing and trashing the shelters and food? No, they are making it worse. Dang it, there has to be some means of help out there, some assistance from the city, some press, somebody to uphold what you are doing and make this easier for you? I'm sure you have been down this road before. Maybe some of the readers here have some ideas?
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I surely don't have the answer, but agree there has to be some way to educate these people about what you're doing. We need to pull out all the stops and get your story in front of people. Somebody has to have connections with the TV or newspaper. Better yet, who knows how to start a social media campaign? That story of Lenny (or was it Larry) made national news and you weren't even mentioned. Can we resurrect that some how? -carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote to the D and C on your behalf Janine and no one ever wrote back to me :( Anyone have a better connection?!

    ReplyDelete