Monday, May 12, 2014

Oh Rats!

To the person who wrote on Friday's post the comment that maybe, because George is friendly, I should put him back.  No, I don't think I should put him back.   There are a few reasons.  George is rail thin.  He is an older cat that tested positive for FIV, and weighs barely six pounds.  After observation of him since I RESCUED him from the streets, he is either in final stages of FIV (due to being out in the bitter winter we had, and catching all sorts of things due to his low immune system), he could have some dementia, which cats can get, or is just a little 'off'.   I would NEVER NEVER NEVER put him back where I found, and fed him for over a year, on Grand and Stout.  And anyone that allows their cats to roam the neighborhoods that I go into, without a collar, or microchip, doesn't really own the cat.  They aren't being responsible, so therefore should not claim to 'own' the cat.  and that's that.  I will continue to RESCUE these animals until there are none left, or I can't do it anymore myself.

Speaking of that location, when I pulled up the garage to feed the black cat, and neck wound kitty, who I now believe is the cat that I am seeing there, with larger open wounds than just his neck, I saw the biggest rat I've ever seen.  At first I thought it must be an opossum, but it was a rat.  The size of a small cat.

It was not a good weekend after that.  I started to move my stuff from beside the house on Hayward, to the far back of the empty lot two houses down, due to the new owner of the property next door asking me to.  He is trying to make his house look nice, and this was an eyesore.  So, me willing to work with anyone that doesn't try to damage my stuff, and show me how much they hate cats, and show what little compassion they have for these animals, I am going along with it, moving the spot I've had for many many years there, to a new location.  Most of the cats were waiting for me in between houses this morning so that was good.

I found this note this morning at my Short Street location: 


This was disturbing.  It was taped to my shelter.  But it makes no sense.  I don't 'take' the cat food, so I am not sure what this means.  Regardless, its disturbing.   I've had no opposition here since I moved the spot from under the porch of a house across the streets from there, after the owner asked me to.  He allowed me to use this as shelter for a winter, and then asked me to move it due to 'rats'.  The few folks that live on this very short street know me and have no problem with what I am doing.  Disturbing regardless.

I also found a note at my Baldwin location on Sunday morning that read:  "To the person feeding the kitties - please contact me ASAP by phone or e=mail.  Thank you."

I dialed the number on the front of her business card and found a very nice woman on the other end.  I receive so much opposition to what I do over the years, I was ready for this person to say she wanted my stuff gone.  But she didn't.  To make a long story short, she asked if I could move the stuff from  under the bench because they want to plant there and make it look pretty for the summer.  She lived down the street, said she loves cats, has had at least eight cats spayed/neutered, and had two of her own that she had taken in and they are indoor cats.  I am hoping to get some help in this location because it truly is an eyesore with my stuff being bright colored, the boards leaning against the fence to protect the food from rain is off colored, etc.  the neighborhood is willing to work with me, but I must try to help them by making this location a little more obscure.  Any suggestions?  Could some one come by with some brown spray paint? 

At my first spot on Parsells, Saturday morning I found my stuff moved to the back of the house.  Piled up.  I moved it to the back porch, where I believe no one is living, and this morning it was moved again, piled up, on the grass.  I fixed it up again, but who knows how long this will stay.  I had left a note for the owner of the house/apartments to call me, but he  didn't.  I have no idea how long I will be able to feed here.  How sad.  I am tired of these people not willing to work with me.  I am tired of dragging my shelters and boards, trying to make the best of a bad situation.  The animals are suffering from it, not me.

This could be a long post because I am dismayed by people who do this to my shelters.  But I have to get to work.  I will continue to fight the fight, as long as I am able. 

PS, there is a very pregnant, very beautiful calico on 4th and Pennsylvania I must get.  I have three spots at the clinic for Wednesday.  Wish me luck.  Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. PLEASE contact the police and let them know about the note. Maybe they can keep extra eyes on you for a few days. -carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. By any chance, is someone else taking the food from the cats shelter and a neighbor has seen it done, and they left the note for the thief that is stealing the food Janine leaves? If it's a poor neighborhood possibly someone is taking the food for their pets , so that they don't have to buy some.I'm not sure it was meant for Janine, but for someone else that may be messing with Janines food and shelters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Carol G., I have observed that my food bowls remain inside this shelter exactly as I leave them daily, so I don't think anyone is taking, but I could be wrong, and you could be right. Not sure... its puzzling..

      Delete