Monday, May 5, 2014

Holy Moly!

I just love this picture of a man holding his sick dog - pure compassion

Lots going on this past weekend, some good, some not so good.  Saturday morning was eventful -
I heard a cat meowing while I poured food behind Kevin's house on Parsells, for the waiting two red kitties that have been pretty regular there lately.  I shined my powerful light - thanks to Walt and Karon - towards a house two houses down, up toward the attic window - one open, the other next to it closed, and saw a pair of illuminating eyes looking out.  Sure enough, a cat and it seemed in distress.
 
Little Red Before his Rescue!
I went over to investigate after I finished up, shined my light into a room and sort of deemed it to be a duplex house, with the apartment vacant.  I called 911, and took off to my next feeding spot.  Within 15 minutes, an RPD officer called me, stating he was in front of the house, and that he didn't hear anything.  I left the shelter on Short Street to go back and do the familiar cat call that the officer probably did not do.  I pulled up to the officer, and we walked over to the house, and I cat called, and sure enough, there was the kitty up there.  Well, after the officer stated that he would place an order on his call sheet for follow up, and that I should call RAS (Rochester Animal Services) around 8 when they started, and maybe come back at that time and knock on the other half of the duplex house to see if they could determine who's cat and how it may have gotten up there.  After that, he proceeded to get his phone out, and began showing me pictures of his beloved cat that was a rescue, and his dog, which was also a rescue, telling me that he has had several cats and dogs over his lifetime.  I fell in love.  :)  What a guy.  We spoke for at least 10 minutes before I said I had to go finish up my route.  LOVE that man.  You don't come across too many cops that let their guard down like that.  There are a few of them though, that truly love animals, and have helped me immensely, and you guys (and girl) know who you are.  And I thank you from the bottom of my police loving heart.  :) 

My Flowers from last year
I went home and texted my friend from RAS who mentioned she would go over after 7:30 to take a look for the cat.  She called me an hour later and said "Janine, usually you have me go to vacant houses for rescuing a cat, but this house is lived in!"  She knocked on the door, asked if they owned a cat, they said no, she said someone called in  that a cat was in the attic crying, they allowed her to go look the attic was empty of contents and the cat.  She could not see it.  I have no clue what happened to that cat, whether it was hiding in the floor boards, or a wall, but that cat was there crying before.  It may have jumped onto the roof next door, I don't know.  I called for it Sunday morning, and not a peep.  I pray it got out.  Such excitement for one day!

After I left there to do Stout where I feed scratchy and bitey Dexter, and then Chamberlain where Lucy, the Candy lookalike and a few new ones wait for me, I proceeded to Hayward, where I found that some b#$%#d took all three of my very good shelters, dismantled the boards sheltering the food, bowls, towels, everything gone.  The board was on the side of a house, and the pallet was at the curb, so I proceeded to move back everything left, and at least left the food covered as it was forecasted to pour on Saturday.  Bastards.  I don't know if it was the guy that owns that place and rents out the apartments, who gave me permission to feed there years ago.  A nice man (at the time anyways) who lives in Penfield, or the other guy that owns the house next door, where you will recall in previous post, I witnessed a huge black woman come crashing through the plate glass door last year.  I believe he is cleaning up the place to rent out the other half of his house, and maybe he thought this was a blight.  If you could see the trash around there, I am not sure how he could consider my shelters looking bad, but who knows.  I left a note telling them that it was theft of property, that I had permission from owner, and my number.  No call, and as of this morning, Monday, didn't look like anyone had come by there.

Finally, before I have to rush to get ready for work, CANDY HAS BEEN ADOPTED!  And I wait with baited breath to hear how her day and a half gone from me has gone.  Two wonderful folks who previously adopted Abby from me, offered to try her out, see if she gets along with Abby, and I hope all is going well.  Can't wait for an update.  And by the way, her new name:  Greta.  SWEET.  I couldn't be happier for Candy/Greta.  Although she turned into a cat that I would keep myself, she is just that great of a cat.  I love her, and I miss her.  And thank you Carol and Mike!

Before I sign off, I did see two very sick, very thin cats, one on Stout and the other on Baldwin.  Both tabbys, one all grey, the other spotted with white.  The one on Stout I had seen here and there but he's been missing for quite a while. Now, he barely weighs six pounds.  Skin and bone.  I need to rescue him.  The other is shy, sickly.  I will be TNR'g Wednesday, as I have a spot at the clinic, and I will be placing the trap behind Paul's on Second because I think I've spotted a whitish cat with tortoise coloring that looks pregnant.  Wish me luck. 

That's it and have a great day!
"We all have those days when we don't know who we are anymore.  We can find ourselves by first knowing that we are God's children."

3 comments:

  1. Happy to report that Greta is doing great in her new home. We currently have a baby gate on the door so our other cats, Abby, Sam and Andy can get acquainted. Oh yes, and the dog too! Abby bounded right over the gate and promptly used Greta's litter box. Not sure what that means in cat language. :) From there they gave each Eskimo kisses. The rest is history. I don't anticipate any problems with the boys. Thank you so much Janine for rescuing this beautiful cat. She is a true sweetheart. How full of energy and love our house has become since Abby and Greta have joined the family. -carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU FOR ADOPTING GRETA (CANDY) OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME. THAT'S WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

      Delete
  2. From living on the streets, homeless and alone a few short weeks ago, to loved, safe, warm and fed today. I LOVE these happy endings ♥ Thank you Janine and Carol. You are both angels.

    ReplyDelete