Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pay it Forward

Lillian, the older woman that adopted a kitty from me last year, and named him Pepper, who just had his teeth pulled out due to stomatitis (that cost her $800), called me to let me know she had a baby deer in her back yard.  Of course I had to go see it after work.  Tiny, and precious are the only words to describe it. 


She called animal control and they told her to leave it alone, that mama would be back for it.  I pray it happens.  Thats all I need is the need to rescue a baby deer!!

It was quiet this morning, only two significant events happened - well, significant to me.  Even the smallest things can mean the world to me. 



I had to return 'Asterisk', the kitty I trapped yesterday morning on Hayward.  After trying to get him settled in for a nights stay on the porch, due to his drowsiness of the meds he was under for his neuter that day, I tried to place some food in his cage, but he only pushed and pushed each time I tried to open it.  He seemed fairly friendly, so I brought him in the bathroom, opened the door, and out came the sweetest, nicest, young black kitty, ravenous.  I left him to devouring the food I placed on the floor, and made a few  visits to him before bedtime, not wanting to get too attached to him.  He is a sweet boy.  If he is someone's cat, they should have neutered him, or at least put a collar on him.  I will be keeping my eye on this boy, that I begrudgingly put back on the street this morning.  I HATE that part of trapping.  HATE it. 

Tuffy

I did see Tuffy this morning again, and slipped his pill in the soft food I left for him.  He walked right up to me as I bent down, and hissed.  He is a sick boy, and I am hoping Laura can help me trap him, to get his ears looked at and some meds in him.  Him, along with Neck Wound BODY kitty on Stout.  :(

My final reflection from this morning is from 7th Street.  I was walking back to the car after placing fresh food and water down for the four or so cats that wait for me each morning here at the back of this empty lot, and the black older gentleman that lives across the street, the one I introduced myself to late last year, came out to greet me.  He always remembers my name.  He is a respectful, God fearing, kind man who always has something good to say about life.  His house is a shamble, his car is on its last leg, not even a leg, its last TOE, but he is positive about life.  You can just tell.  I asked him what would happen when his car conks out, he says I will just have to get another one.  You see, he uses this car to transport people to the places they have to go.  He charges them a small fee, and I am sure this is how he makes his meager living.  I've always said, if I could do something for the people who have shown me kindness and compassion in my life, I would do it.  Paul on Second, I would love to build him a new barn, paint his house.  This man on 7th, I would love to see him happy, worry free.  I asked him if he liked home-baked goods, and after he nodded and smiled widely, I told him I would bake him something good this weekend.  Now I just need to find the time and do it.  Any bakers out there?  :)

We hear so often now about people 'paying it forward' - if we could all just do one act of kindness today, what a difference it would make to that person who receives it. 

Life is good.

Have a great day!

"Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud." 
- Maya Angelou


4 comments:

  1. Janine, I will bake for you...Emily :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that idea Janine. I will do one act of kindness today - and think of you!! I try to always be kind to others but I'll make a point today! You're ALWAYS doing it!! Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you, Janine! I'm so glad you're in my life. You're my rainbow today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not just a wish of yours Janine, I have been with you dropping of BBQ,s clothing, baked goods to those you encounter on your daily rounds, even know you to take money from your pocket, for a person who is down and out.........you will be remembered for this and your kindness to all, not only animals

    ReplyDelete