Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Hayward

(written Tuesday night)

Here is the baby that I rescued this morning.  Very dirty, but oh so so loving, so gentle.  She (I think I finally figured that out) will cry until I come in the bathroom where she is staying, and when I hold her, she buries her head into my hand that is gently stroking her.  I will be bringing her to the clinic tomorrow, and pray that she turns out leukemia negative.  I've named her Princess for now.



OK, so, remember when I mentioned a few days ago that my shelters were stolen, and boards placed by the road?  Well, I got a call on my cell this morning from the guy that took them.  Apparently, he is a new owner to the house to the left of where my stuff is, and wants them gone.  He is trying to beautify his property, and is trying to get grass to grow there again.  He left a rather abrupt message about me moving my stuff, and that the shelters were to the left of his property, where a house was just demolished.  I called him back, in the privacy of the conference room at work, and very calmly listened, while he listened to me.  He offered that he was working at the house every day, and I could come by and talk further.  To which I did.  I drove there on lunch hour, and saw where my shelters are, way in the back of this filthy, newly unlandscaped empty lot.  He offered to help me fix them up.  I could understand his side, as he could mine.  I told him LEGALLY, he didn’t have a right to remove my stuff, because I had permission from the owner of the house, to which he could get in contact with, but being the kind person I am, I would compromise.  He did say, in rebuttal, that he could take me to court, small claims, for something or other, but that he didn’t want to do that either.  He advised he did like cats, but they were ruining his property.  He had heard about me on NPR?  Or something like that, and told me he admired what I was doing, but he also had a house that he wanted to fix up.

I did mention to him that if it had not been for what I do there, the neuter/spay over the years, there would be a huge problem of overpopulation.  I also told him the problem would never go away, as long as there were cats unspayed and unneutered.   He did say that he was aware of that and appreciated that I was doing it.

So in the meantime, at this location where Candy was rescued, along with at least 20 other cats over the past eight years, along with SO many TNR’s done here, I must figure out a way get these cats over to this new location, but first have to fix up this new location.  Its pretty primitive.  So, I will have to work on this Sunday morning at some point, hopefully with the help of Sunday Sheryl!  J  Wish me luck.
You really do have to feel sorry for these poor animals who are constantly under stress trying to find their food, and shelters that are being moved right out from under them.  

In the meantime, you know what, I REALLY HATE doing what I am doing!  I just want to sleep in, and put that $10,000 that I spend just on food and vet bills every year back into my pocket to enjoy my life and to reap the rewards of working my tail off my whole life! But I don't!  I get up every single day at 3:45 am., face the hardships of going out into the brutal weather we experience, chase off raccoons and opossums, and druggies and prostitutes, and feed cats, and trap cats, and rescue cats, in the dark behind disgusting filthy buildings!  I have to witness injured cats, and dead cats on the streets, sometimes frozen before my eyes, I have to deal with people like this guy!!!  Which, by the way, is nothing compared to what I have dealt with in the past.  But this is the kind of stuff that gets to me, the way people view cats!  If you don't like it, then help me control it!  Don't trash my stuff, and think that I am going to go away and just let the cats starve to death!  UGGGGH.  I could keep going, but I think you catch my drift.  I just had to vent.

Wednesday:

I set two traps this morning, one at Baldwin, hoping to get the head injured beautiful red cat there, and one at Hayward.  I got the sweet little black and white boy on Hayward, because the crappy trap I set on Baldwin malfunctioned.  I hate letting this little boy back out, he is a nice kitty, but I must, I have no one to take him. He waits for me each morning for his food.  Thanks to someone's kind donation, which helped pay for more than half of what it costs for a new one, I was able to order a new trap from Amazon.  Its on its way. 



Lastly, to the 'person' who struck and killed the beautiful black cat on Seventh near Central this morning, you could have at least had the decency to do the humane thing and move the cat to the side of the road.  If you have a driver's license, that is the moral thing to do.  If you are too elderly and didn't know you hit the cat, you shouldn't be driving, but I doubt that was the case.  I gently picked up this poor baby, after wrapping it in cloth, and dropped it off at a vet on their doorstep.  Thank you Laurelton.  They will at least do a humane burial for this poor animal.  Karma.  It will happen.

Have a nice day.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for you coming across the deceased kitty J., bad start to the day :( your dealings with the public are a big part of what we are wanting for these cats, they only have a voice, because of you, it does not go un noticed. Speaking of being noticed the soap opera Bold and the beautiful recently aired a story line and real life visit to animal shelter in L.A., ! we need more high profile exposure and the message to adopt, adopt, adopt, as the first option......wonder if they know about you ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a hard one to read...I'm sad. -carol

    ReplyDelete