Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Dark

Look at these two.  These are my friend's kitties, and she has four of the most photogenic cats in the world.  Or, at least in Bristol where they live.  Two very cute cuties!
My title is appropos with it being Daylight Savings time here in the east.  Fall Back, Spring Forward.  We set our clocks back an hour last night, but that just meant I was up an hour earlier than normal because my body is used to only so many hours of sleep.  Yuck.  And I woke with a slight headache due to a fun evening with friends having dinner, and mixing my wine.  I realized this time change will not really affect me, because the light still doesn't appear on the horizon before 7:30 am. anyway.  So I am still in the dark at 5 am. when I leave the house (now really 6 am.).  But I decided thats ok, because the darkness is my friend!  I really don't want to be seen doing what I do so lurking around in the dark is much better for me.  A little more scary, but better for me in the long run.  Plus, I bought a great small LED flashlight, so that helps me too.  It was quiet out this morning.  Something is going on with Red, as he was coming to the spot that I've been feeding him at, where Emma was, and Rufus was rescued, but he is now hiding on me again.  I believe he's very sick.  Big Red is still sick, but still waiting for me, sidling up to me, and looking at me with his big gold eyes.  I wish I had the means to help him.  I think he would be a very grateful only cat for someone, after he was cured of his ailments.  I dread thinking about the weather coming.  Not for me, but for these animals.  Its cold enough now int he morning with the frost on the cars and grass, but the temps will be near zero - which is 40 degrees lower than it is now - in a month or so (January and February are our coldest months), and its going to be very cold for these critters.  I do my best, but nothing is going to be good enough.  Actually, the little huts my friend, her husband, and her students have built me are not bad shelters, with some straw added.  But these cats don't always have the know how to use them!  I should put a sign over the entrance saying "Stay here for the night!  Come huddle and cuddle with some of your furry friends!"
I might just do that!

3 comments:

  1. Could you toss in some catnip so they know it's a fun safe place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Notice the 'clipped ear' on Black Betty? Yes, she IS a 'rescue' cat and a beloved little gal. So folks - give Janine a hand and take in a cat who needs a home. They're SO appreciative and loving - I guarantee you won't be sorry - I sure wasn't! XO

    ReplyDelete