Tuesday, November 22, 2011

An Ode to Jake

I have a good friend in Australia, Jen Brown, a very interesting girl in many ways, like her childhood, her career now, and her very cool personality.  I wrote about her dog's passing a few months ago, Jake, and she sent me the following note recently after getting a new dog, Brady Brown.  I will post his picture tomorrow as I don't have access to it right now,  but stay tuned, because he is one PRETTY pup!  I do, however, have Jake's picture, and his gravesite.   Our animals are our family, and whoever can give up a member of their family is...  well, its beyond my comprehension their way of thinking.  I know there are circumstances, but these animals, like a dog, when you come home, are their tails not wagging a mile a minute?  Or the kitties, when you walk in the door, are they not looking at you lovingly?  Or maybe thats hunger, but nevertheless, if you have not cried openly before, and your cat did not come up to you to figure out what you were doing, then, you don't have my cats! 

This is Jen's note to me, which I share with you to show you just how precious our pets are to us:

People are sooooo irresponsible with their pets arent they? They are PEOPLE with four legs. And they crave love and attention. When Jake Dog had to go suddenly due to cancer of the spleen it was such a shock. He had slowed down but never complained about any ailment. He ate well and loved going places with us. He just had no energy. Like all our pooches, he was a 'hand me down" and he was fabulous.
When he went we felt such a loss...again losing another faithful friend. I told Jim I needed to get another dog. He said I FORBID YOU. So that was the nail in the coffin. All settled... I got Brady Brown Dog from another lost doggy home. Jim was furious but I told him to accept Brady or piss off. He grew a beard instead. Good, more hugs for Brady Brown Dog then !

Brady is adorable, loving, friendly to all, the house looks like a bomb's hit it with all his toys. Even our kids who said "Don't get another dog ! " love him to bits, and they only see him occasionally.


Jake Dog would have approved. Our beautiful boy has been gone 14 weeks now, and we think of him every day. This time last year we drove to NSW and Queensland  Jake came with us and all our friends fell in love with him.

Stay tuned for Brady Brown's picture! 

As far as my route these past few days, it was very cold out this morning.  Frost all around.  I am trying to make my shelters as comfortable as possible but its hard this year.  I have had to relocate a few spots and my shelters are very flimsy.  I will have a friend come help me hopefully soon to see what she thinks.  She is very creative, and I am hoping she may have some better ideas.  I picked up a poor dead cat in the street yesterday morning.  I spotted him in the road, and just knew I couldn't go past him.  I placed a towel around his little black and white body and placed him to the side of the road.  I then went back and got the plastic flea collar that must have come off him on impact.  His body didn't look damaged, so I am not sure how that happened.  He is in heaven now and will not suffer in the coming months.  Poor baby. 





No comments:

Post a Comment