Thursday, November 3, 2011

Food


We take it for granted, don't we?  The cats don't.  I just about ran out of food this morning feeding them.  I had to skimp on some of them.  In fact, yesterday, the Nasty Boy on Third Street, took a swipe at either me or one of the other hungry cats, and knocked a large bowl of dry food down on the porch, scattering it all over, so I had to use extra.  Although for some reason, I almost ran out today, even though I brought the usual amount.  I think the difference is I ran out of my back up food.  I usually keep a small bag in the trunk of my car as surplus.  I always dig into it, because 15 pounds does not always feed the cats each morning.  I have received donations of small bags of cat food in the past, and when I do, the donors say to me - I know its not much - but it IS.  Those are the bags that I NEED when I run out of the food I pack each morning to use.  I appreciate these small bags so much.  But I had none, so I skimped on some food for these babies.  Anyways, I just thought I would mention the importance of small things, small gestures.  They are always welcome to me.

Otherwise, it was a dull morning.  I didn't run into anyone in the hood, and all my other usual suspect kitties were there, minus Red.  Big Red moves around.  Big Red is the one I took a picture of his wounded head a few posts ago.  He is the one I am having a struggle with my conscience about taking him to the shelter.  But he has recently been greeting me by rubbing his head and body against my leg when he sees me now.  I know that is a sign of affection, and if he can show that, he is worthwhile to someone.  But again, that someone is not around, we are short on people to foster these guys, and also he will be expensive to treat, which I cannot afford.  And Mama Girl on Third Street, she gave birth earlier this summer, she has an Upper Respiratory Infection, you can hear her labored breathing while I am dishing out the food, but she won't let me get near her, so I wouldn't be able to pill her anyway.  Just sad cases.  But there is hope!  I have saved Midnight, Oreo and Rufus, and they are all waiting for homes!  Please spread the word!!

2 comments:

  1. These kitties are blessed to have you looking out for them. you are a very special lady, Janine!

    ReplyDelete