Thursday, September 22, 2011

They Sure Must Love You.

That is what one of Rochester's finest said to me this morning as I was bending down to place food in the bowls for five very hungry kitties on the corner, under the tree.  I pulled up upon a sad scene, it was around 6 am., and there was an ambulance and several officers were there helping the ambulance crew load a woman on a stretcher into the back of the ambulance.  You could hear the woman softly crying.  I could feel tears welling up so I tried to ignore it and get on with what I was there for.  The woman was whisked off, and two officers came over to talk.  Really nice men.  They just thought what I was doing was great.  They asked me how long I had been doing it (15+ years), who funded it (my meager paychecks), and where I fed (within a two mile diameter, about 15 different locations).  I did tell them first off "no, I am not a crazy person".  :)  Little do they know.

At one location, there are now five new older kittens.  Where did they come from?  And at another, there was a raccoon AND an opossum!  Whats up with that?  I didn't know these two groups could come together in harmony like that!

It was rainy this morning, my brain is getting into gear on sheltering these animals.  Someone has offered to take two cats from corner mentioned above, and I still haven't heard anything from Miss B. about the kittens.  I pray she is still coming home by bus in the mornings from the transient motel she is staying at to feed whatever is left inside her home besides the roaches - which hopefully are the two kittens and one other black kitty she calls Midnight Star.  I am going to try to rescue Allie.  He needs to find a real home.  He is getting scared of people again out there.  I feel so bad for him.

Another thing I want to mention is what a wonderful group of people I have in my life right now.  There are people in my life that are actually contributing small donations to me and it means the world to me.  I know things are tough for everyone and for someone to give of themselves either monetary or food is so unselfish.  I thank every one of you who have ever donated, or who will donate in the future.  You will be rewarded in one way or another, and I hope someday in some way I can do the same for you.  Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Janine,
    you see where this is going, don't you? You feed more and more cats, and you'll HAVE more and more cats (and raccoons, etc). Feeding un-neutered cats is like adding fuel to a fire. If they were spayed and neutered, you could feed them and you wouldn't be (in effect) helping to create more homeless cats.

    Have you heard of a droptrap? See www.droptrapdesign.blogspot.com. You can borrow one from me, in Webster. You can get low-cost spay/neuter at several locations in ROC - Habitat for Cats, Friends of Ferals, and Lollypop. It would take only a few minutes longer to trap them, as it does to feed them. and they will still love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hubcat, I appreciate your suggestion. And I would love your help! Please let me know when you are available. I cannot do this on my own as I do not have the time or resources to do. You should walk in my shoes for a day, you then would understand. I rescue more cats than I trap neuter and return. I have three I may be taking off the street this very weekend due to some very kind people. But I also won't stop feeding them just because they are unneutered - I don't feel I am adding 'fuel to the fire'. But again, please let me know if you are available to help, I sure could use it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll contact you, via email. If you can't rescue, they can be TNR'd. That's the beauty of TNR - you're helping them greatly, even if there's nothing else you can do - and there won't be more homeless cats. If you wait, because you want to do more and can't, there WILL be more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and, you can always get them off the street later, if the opportunity arises.

    ReplyDelete