Tuesday, July 12, 2011

All Guts, No Glory


I am referring to the little grey kitty I scraped off the streets on Sunday morning. The thing is, I found another with its face smashed in on Monday morning. Most people have no regard for hitting an animal and just leaving it in the street, to be hit over and over again. Some people make me sick, and I know its not the majority of people that are this heartless, but there are a lot, especially in the neighborhoods I go into. I buried baby #1 in my garden under a large hosta. Wrapped in a pretty soft blue blanket from the hospital I work at. The second baby is not as lucky to be buried in my yard, but it is wrapped in a soft clean white towel. I feel so guilty leaving it by the side of a building. I just couldn't keep bringing these dead animals home with me. I just buried the Seventh Street bunny a few weeks ago in one of my gardens also. I have a tiny place, so its not like I have a ton of burial space. Sunday morning, I was given the opportunity to TNR a cat from one of the spots I feed at. So off I went, with two traps, and set the first one at the kitten spot that I won't give up on, and the second was set on Second Street where there are a ton of kitties, including a very pregant one. I placed some fine smelling tuna, and went on my way to feeding at my other spots. Well, after an hour and a half, no bites. The kittens I've learned will not go into the trap, so I've been bringing a fishing net with me. The other trap is really a piece of junk, and twice when I went to check on it, the door was shut, so it must have closed really easily, by the wind perhaps! So, sadly it just didn't work. I know there are folks who are probably mad at me for not getting one, but what can I do. I do what I can, and I try my best. My focus was on the three kittens mostly, as they are suffering a great deal now. Their eyes are practically shut. They are only 12 or so weeks old. No mom in sight. But I do have somewhat good news. I was able to get one this morning, the one with the most infected eyes. Its so so sad to see this angel, but I know this is the most humane thing for me to do for it. I have to believe that. I have to continue to try to get the last two, and then get the very pregant mom on Second. Say a prayer for me! Picture is of the kitten I got this morning.

1 comment:

  1. So wonderful you gave the kitten a proper burial. This little angel is so sweet. I hope something can be done about the infected eyes. :(

    ReplyDelete