Thursday, April 27, 2017

It My Lucky Day!



They're baaaaaack.  The walking dead, the zombies of the hood.  Out in full force.  The first encounter was when I set a trap at Syd and Johnny's to try to catch a large fluffy calico cat that's been hanging around for a while now.  I was offered one spot at the clinic today, but it was iffy, and I hadn't heard back to confirm it, so am sort of glad I didn't trap successfully this morning - didn't want to waste a spot.  They are too precious.  So I set the trap, and across the street was a woman who was on the other side of Bay Street walking between 7th and 6th.  I pulled up and rolled my window down to her, asking her not to go over because I was trapping.   Not only are people curious, but this spot has been a known spot for people to relieve themselves if necessary, because its dark and somewhat unnoticeable.  She said 'I'm just waiting for the bus."  Now the bus stop is across the street, I've seen her quite a few times, and do you know how many times I've heard 'the girls' tell me 'they are just waiting for the bus?  Its 4:30 am.  C'mon.  As I drove back after feeding at a couple of spots, I saw her in some guy's truck on the side street next to the auto garage.  uh huh.

The next set of characters always hang on Second Street near bay.  There is a park like setting and they hang there.  That's where the hookers and drugsters are.  A pretty black girl walked past me as I got out to feed kitties on the lot I've now been given permission to feed on by the kind man that lives there.  I said good morning to her.  She seemed different, almost fresh faced, and perky.  Compared to the rest of the folks around there that are out at that time of the morning.  I smiled and said 'you look so pretty!' (you’ve got to say SOMETHING when you are seen hunched down, pouring stuff onto a plate and sliding it under a mailbox at 4:30 am!).  She seemed thrilled when I said that and she said 'thank you!  so do you!' - well, come on now, you don't have to give a compliment back when you are complimented, right?  Because if anyone can see me at that time of the morning, I am not the spiffiest.    But I said thank you and kept doing my thing, as she continued to walk down the street toward the group of guys hanging with their bikes.

Back to cats, so I set a trap on Ferndale and Webster, nothing, and then moved it to the auto garage.  As I said, I had not received a confirmation from the clinic for sure about a spot for me, although they said MAYBE, so I was not as upset in NOT getting a kitty as I would have been if they made room just for me.  Besides, I have two spots in my name for each week beginning this Tuesday.  So as long as I am able to afford the $120 per week, I WILL, dang nabbit!, get two kitties from the streets spayed or neutered. 



(I hope my mother doesn't read this next part...)  I was pulled over this morning on my way to work.  I rolled down my window, flashed my winning smile, batted my blue eyes, and asked the officer what I had done wrong, sweetly of course.  He said 'you were going 55 in a 35...  I said I was????  He asked for my license and registration, and at one point said 'you look familiar to me..'  then asked where I worked, and I said, maybe it was on television?  told him I did cat rescue stuff... He looked at me and said, handing me my license back, 'have a good day and no speeding.'.  :)  As he walked away, I said "I LOVE U"!  :)  ha ha.  No, not funny, cause that is the last thing I need.  But ...  what are you going to do.  My price was paid by the humiliation of having a gazillion people drive past you looking.  SLOW DOWN!  I need to play the lottery today.  Thanks Officer.

I received the sweetest note from a recent adopter.  She adopted Melody.  Here is what she writes, and the picture she shared.

MELODY!

“Yes we are rolling in kitty pot (cat nip) and playing and purring and lots of hugging going on!  Her personality is in full bloom, she is sooo sweet and even plays with her toys in the room w/dad when he watches TV.  She has fit right in and is now officially head of the household.  I call her my little girl and sweetie and mini-Melody, which has kind of morphed into ‘Minnie.’  I hope you are OK with that, I know your rescues are like your babies!  I love her sooooo much, Janine.  I’m hoping to get selfies together to post, but I’m not good at taking pictures but I’ll keep trying!”


This is what makes it all worthwhile.

Please send in your story and pictures!  :)

Have a great day!


"Not to hurt our humble brethren (the animals) is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission--to be of service to them whenever they require it... If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men." 

3 comments:

  1. Janine, don't ever think momma doesn't know. Just ask my kids, they could tell you a lot about mother and what she wasn't supposed to know. So glad everything turned out OK though. I love your messages at the end of your blogs and the one above is so true. Hope your day is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that update on Melody! She's got it made now! ;D

    ReplyDelete