Sunday, November 3, 2013

Cedric & Prince

Darn you Ben and Jerry!  You bring me to such highs, and then send me to such lows...  I just finished off my last half of a pint of New York Super Fudge Chunk, and I feel sick to my stomach.  I just love it when I start it, but its so super rich, and so bad for you, but I just can't help myself.  My auntie was visiting from Massachusetts last weekend, and I took her out shopping at some area boutiques, and I told her, there are certain things in life that I must have.  I can live in poverty in every other aspect, but I must have on a daily basis good coffee, good wine, soap, perfume, and chocolate.  Not necessarily all of those daily, but just about.


I picked up Rupert, the very sick white kitty on Baldwin, from the clinic on Friday.  I got to work and got an e-mail from the clinic that had been sent to me late Thursday telling me that had a spot for him after they initially turned me down.  When I picked him up after being neutered, rabies and distemper, a shot of Convenia for his upper respiratory infection, and Droncit, a de-worming pill, all for $100, they also told me he was missing 6 upper incisors, and 4 lower incisors.  The poor thing was almost toothless.  You think about this cat that was on the streets for so long, in such rough shape, I am SO thankful that I scooped him up without even thinking about what I would do with him after I was able to get him treated.  I just knew I could not let him suffer any longer.  I had delivered Winky, now named Zoey, to her new home - which by the way, I was so impressed by her new home.  She has a big brother kitty, and two great people as new parents.  The day after I brought her over, I checked in on them and they are totally in love with her.  I am so happy about that.  I just love being able to rescue these cats from the worst of situations, and be able to place them into such great homes. I keep telling Rupert that he is SO lucky being inside where its warm and dry and safe. 

Homeless kitty on 7th

I also managed to get Cedric and Prince this morning (Sunday) into carriers.  Prince was easy, but Cedric was very difficult, he just didn't trust me and each time I went to grab him by the scruff to immobilize him and carry him to the carrier, he kept backing away, but after five or so minutes, I was able to do it.  My heart was jumping out of my chest, its always scary to grab a cat and carry them and stuff them into a carrier.  Some are easier than others.  I drove them out to a really fine barn in Scottsville, to two great ladies who promised to care for them.  I set up their cages that they will reside in for at least a week with warm blankets, food, water and litter, and told them how lucky they were to be off the streets and safe.  Cedric sure wasn't buying it, but I think Prince was starting to believe.  I then drove back home - deprived of sleep as my stupid alarm went off at 3 am. rather than 4 am. (So much for that extra hour of sleep),  and I was thinking, as I always do when I pull cats off the street and place them in barns - did I do the right thing?  What if I took this animal and he or she had a girlfriend or boyfriend, a mother or father - a relationship!  I think of odd stuff, but its true.  Maybe I've seen too many kids movies where the animals all have relationships with something or other!  So, that's my dilemma but I pray I did the right thing.  So, that's another three cats I've 'rescued' this weekend that I can add to my roster.

Where Cedric & Prince were rescued this am., four kitties left

Back home, I have four sniffling, sneezing cats that I wound up having to purchase medicine for and have to give two doses a day to four cats.  I pray it does the trick, because its going to be very expensive for me if it doesn't - I always ask myself if this cat business is worth it, but in the end, I always know the answer without asking.  It is.  They are all brats.  But I love them and don't know what I would do without caring for an animal.  My heart would be empty. 

Tomorrow, I must tell you about Larry, the man I met on Baldwin on Friday morning.  Such a kind man.  And the mother kitty he told me about who had seven babies recently behind his house.  Uggh.  Here we go again.

Have a great day. 

"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish he didn't trust me so much."

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that you need to tell "Rupert that he is SO lucky being inside where its warm and dry and safe" - I bet he is thanking you everytime he sees you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you were able to get Cedric and Prince into carriers and to the barn! It sounds like a nice place, once they get used to it.

    Hope your kitties are feeling better soon. Did they catch it from Rupert? :(

    ReplyDelete