Monday, March 18, 2013

Trust Issues....

The picture above is of the little kitten I rescued last week.  I brought him for combo testing as I had plans to bring him to Petco Saturday morning for their weekly adoption event - they require that the cat be tested - the event was cancelled, but luckily, the little guy tested negative for FIV or Leukemia.  Whew!  The doc also confirmed he is about four pounds, and maybe five months old.  I have to tell you, I was thinking about this, here I take a cat that was most likely born outdoors, five months ago, that would be in November, survived throughout this terrible winter we've had, on the streets, and most likely is motherless and brotherless - he cried and cried every single morning, but wouldn't come close enough to me, and he has turned into the sweetest little boy that can't get enough affection when you hold him.  He never wants to be let go!   I can't say I would consider this cat a feral, in the feral definition.  He looks bigger than he is in this picture, and he is very thin.  You can feel all his bones on his back.  HE is waiting on a name that a co-worker's friend's little girl is going to give him.  Its a name for donation exchange!  I thought that was a pretty sweet deal, but I hope we can get a name really soon!  In the meantime, I called him Paddy all weekend in honor of St. Patrick's Day!  He needs a home, and so does Daisy, Earl, Pumpkin and Magic!

Spring has not sprung in Rochester, NY, so I continue to bundle up each morning.  My journey gets me up each day around 4 am. so that I can head out from home, armed with two eight pound ziploc bags of dry food, 2-1/2 gallons of hot water, and four large tubs of canned cat food.  I stop at 15 locations and see an average of three cats.  I downsized recently from 16 because one of the abandoned houses I fed and sheltered at was demolished.  I think about each of the really nice kitties that I recently took off the street in hopes of adoption at Lollipop - I hope you all read my post from Friday with updates.  I miss them so much.  But there are all new ones out there, and some old timers that I am not sure would be adoptable, so I continue to keep my eye on them, and in my prayers.  Another thing I can't believe is how fast a feral cat will begin to trust a human.  Do you remember the four baby kittens I saw in November, on Baldwin.  Laura was able to trap two in January, and I am still waiting on word on what she is going to do with them, and then there was one left.  I am not sure what happened to the Mom and the other little one.  I've been stopping every day since I first spotted them, and the one surviving kitten now rushes to greet me!  He went from running around the corner, to keeping a good distance from me, to now greeting me at my feet - that was this morning!  I would have to say he is about four to five months old.   Its amazing the trust a cat can give.  Have a great day.

My advice to you is not to inquire why or why not,
but just enjoy the ice cream while its on your plate.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I missed Fridays update, but super news, you go girl ! everything in todays post is so good too, you deserve this good news Janine, your work is not for nought, we love you and the kittys so much.

    ReplyDelete