Sunday, March 24, 2013

And They're Off!


Thats what they say at the beginning of a horse race, eh?  It is appropriate for this post today, because I rescued TWO cats Sunday morning, and brought them to a girl who posted on Craigslist for barn cats, and I fulfulled her wishes!  :)  Quite proud of myself.  I was able to pick up Angel and Lucy from Second Street.  I've been feeding them FOREVER.  You will recall last year Angel was neutered, and was going to be fostered by someone, but wound up biting her because he was terrified, and he had to be let back out onto the street.   He and Lucy have always been a pair, she following him when he ran to greet me each day.

ANGEL/RED



LUCY

He was aptly named Angel because he would do angels in the snow when I pulled up, rolling over on his back, anticipating my arrival, and wet food, even in the worst of weather.  I renamed him this morning to Red, as in Fred and Lucy - the old Lucille Ball show?  Weren't those the characters names?  I also thought that made a more masculine name too, especially being around all the big boys, the horses, at the stables. It was a cool experience, for sure.  They were both frightened, but I am looking forward to updates from the very wonderful girl who took them.  These city kitties are now living the country life!  I got a bonus, her daughter drew me a picture too!  :)




And get this, Saturday morning, I rescued another kitty, Harold!  This is the kitty I was telling you about that I was thinking of bringing to Lollipop for adoption, and then thought I was going to bring him to the barn.  Well, it only took one day in captivity to discover what a WONDERFUL SWEET kitty he really is, and knowing that I might have TWO possible adopters coming over today to meet Daisy, Paddy and Earl, now they can also choose from Harold!  He is a true lover boy.


Can you imagine?  I rescued THREE off the streets this weekend???  I still can't believe it.  I am so happy.  I would LOVE for someone to go back in my blog, to 2008, and count how many cats I've rescued! 

The kitty that had been stuck in the apartment last week?  I pulled up yesterday, hoping that the cop made good on his word, and got in touch with the owner/landlord to let the cat out, and I heard its cry again.  I flipped.  I went on the rest of my round, and drove back and knocked on the door myself to the next door apartment.  A woman answered, and lo and behold, she had a key to the apartment.  She must have just gotten it, as she really didn't have one the day before.  I asked her to unlock the door and leave it open for a while, I did go up and see the cat at the top of the stairs.  It looked very very thin.  It was scared so wouldn't come out for me.  Later in the day, I received a call from Animal Control, and didn't mention the above, mainly because I wanted a record of it, and I wanted to be sure the cat was actually gone from the apartment, which it was because they called back to confirm they went through the apartment. 

All in all, a good weekend! 

(UPDATE TO THIS POST - several hours later...  the family that came over to adopt a kitty, I had the youngsters, Daisy and Paddy all set to show, and guess who they wanted to bring home?  HAROLD!!!  Harold, who is a few years old, has been around the block, and who I didn't have high hopes for was the chosen one!  I can't wait to see how he settles in with his new family!  GREAT NEWS!!!  So many have been rescued from the city streets of Rochester!)

4 comments:

  1. THREE rescues in one weekend!! Yaaaa Harold....a good life awaits you. Way to go Janine - one of the many reasons I love you.
    Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 Kitties Rescued = 3,000 Cheers!!!! Awesome Janine! And a big YAY for Harold too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is the barn woman going to keep the cats from running away immediately, and being lost, Janine?

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless you Janine, and he is on your side, as well as at your side, see, miracles happen at Easter xxxxxx what a great result for you and the kittys !

    ReplyDelete