Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Fe Fi Fo Fum


I was reminded of Jack and the Beanstalk story this morning as I walked up to the shelter behind this guy's house that I've built for a few ferals that I feed on Pennsylvania near Third.  I've never met the man, I know he has a big truck in his driveway, and I know that he is allowing me to walk on his property to feed the kitties that live under the boards in the back of his house.  Or they take shelter there often.  This is where two years ago I trapped some feral kittens with the help of Heather, from Another Chance.  I also know the man has put out food for these cats in the warmer weather before, as there are several of his little dishes back there.  Each time it snows, there are my fresh footprints walking to the back of his house.  I often wonder what he thinks, and how long he will allow me to do it.  This morning, in the fresh snow, I saw a pair of HUGE footprints, besides mine, and thought of the giant in this fairytale of Jack and the Beanstalk.  I will be leaving him a note when the weather is drier on his windshield soon, thanking him for his compassion. 

BUGSY
After recent encouragement from my friend at Lollipop that they were still short on adoptable cats and to bring in the friendly ones, I got Bugsy and Boots this morning.  I have been trying to find them both homes for close to a year now with no luck, after I got them both neutered last year when they were very young, and returned them to Hayward .  I've held them both and cuddled them on very cold mornings, as they run to my car every single day.  In fact, this morning Bugsy was on Garson where he sometimes goes, which is just a block from where I normally feed them, and upon seeing me, ran with the car (at 15 mph!) down the street to Hayward where Boots and a few other kitties were waiting for me.  He is a little cutie, and I know they both will be adopted.  

This by no means lightens my load in caring for all these cats.  I often worry about how long I can continue do this.  Money is tight.  I continue to spend well over a hundred dollars a week just for food for the homeless cats.  I don't get much in donations, but when I do you can't imagine the relief I feel.

At the Third Street shelter, the abandoned house that had the orange fence with Asbestos signs, has now been absolved of the abestos and will be torn down soon.  I continue to leave bowls of food and water under the porch of the house, and this morning left a paper plate note saying there were animals in the basement and to please check before demolishing, which I imagine would be any time now.  I am hoping, but doubtful, that these city workers could care less.  They've boarded up houses with cats still inside, so why would they care about this. 

I have rescued many many cats this past year.  It amazes me.  Yet I still feel guilt about decisions I felt had to be made, and I still continue to feed just as many cats despite all of my rescues.  There is a pregnant young girl on Second that I cannot trap.  She just won't fall for it.  There are still so many sad situations that I see,   I know I've made a difference, but its still a problem that will continue to grow if trapping and neutering isn't continued.   I wish I had more help.

"An idea not coupled with action will never get any bigger
than the brain cell it occupied."

1 comment:

  1. Glad there is someone on your side janine, you and the kittys. He is a hero to me too !

    ReplyDelete