Friday, March 8, 2013

TGIF!



I see so much each morning, and I rarely mention it due to all the rescues lately.  This morning, as I turned the corner from Pennsulvania onto Third, I saw a huge crane to my left - my immediate thought was oh no, they are going to tear the house down, the house that I have fed for years at, the house that I have rescued SO many cats from, most recently Bully and Grady, two of which my mother has, Mike and Gracie, and as I got closer, I realized that the house wasn't even there.  They demolished it yesterday.  I can't describe the feeling I got.  It was really a sadness, knowing all the work I went to securing warm shelters on the porch for all those cats, the bales of straw that went under the porch for the ones that took shelter there, all the raccoons I shooed away, and all the little ones that took refuge through the window into the basement.  I got out and looked around, and didnt' see any of the cats that were left that I had been feeding under the porch.  Nevertheless, I set down two bowls of food and a bowl of water on the sidewalk in front of the lot next door, and said a prayer that they would either find one of my other shelters nearby, or find this food that I lay down now.  I also prayed that they cleared the house first of any animals that could have been in the basement.

I was reminded of another situation that happened a few years back, when I was feeding at a house on Niagara, where the workers had boarded up a house with cats stuck inside.  I share with you the letter I wrote to the Chief of Police at the time, Chief Moore, after the situation happened, which will explain the circumstances.  I pray that this hasn't happened again, but I doubt it.

Dear Chief Moore,


In the spring of 2010, I contacted your office to applaud the commendable work of one of your animal control officers, Elaine Lalka, for rescuing newborn kittens inside a mattress in a boarded up house on Seventh Street in Rochester. (see my very first post of this blog).  The house was demolished later the very same day.

Today I contacted your office on a different matter and was informed I could forward all my complaint information in an e-mail to your kind assistant Cheryl and that it would be passed on to you. This e-mail allows me to express my thoughts and concerns for what I consider a tragedy of justice. For the past 15 years I have personally taken responsibility for feeding and rescuing homeless cats in Rochester. We have a severe problem in our city and I am trying to make a difference. Through the years I have found homes for many strays, lately resorting to trapping the feral and sick animals and bringing them to a shelter for care in hopes of adoption. Those that do not survive are euthanized, more humane than starving and suffering on our streets.

Recently, a most tragic event occurred. Last Friday, on October 1st, I called 311 to report a cat trapped on the roof of the city owned and boarded up house (the window with a hole was reboarded on September 30th) on 61 Niagara Street. I assumed my calls would be reported to the proper authorities. Each morning I called to report the cat was still on the roof, and each time was assured that Animal Control would be notified. On October 5th, after calling 311 again that morning because the cat was still there, I was told the message was relayed to animal control officers only two to three times, despite my daily calls.

However, Officer Lalka, who had been the responding AC officer the day before did request the boarded house be opened for the animal to exit. A day later, due to the city's delayed response to the request, a woman who similarly rescues cats, has a not-for-profit animal rescue organization called Sheperds' for Animals, is a Rochester city school teacher, and father was a sergeant with RPD for 30 years, had been monitoring the animal's condition, and at my coaxing she accessed a hole in the lower window of the house that the cat had originally gone into, to free itself from the house. Gina was immediately arrested as she was leaving, and placed in a police car for 45 minutes. Her name is Gina Specksgooer, her ticket number is 204318, and her arresting officer is K. Pitts, ID#1762. I cannot speak for Gina, but I find this situation humiliating and degrading for a person performing a humanitarian act. This aggressive cop should have called dispatch to corroborate the story of the stranded cat before arresting her. If this was perceived as an improper act she only needed to be informed as to the violation. As it stands now, she has attorney fees to pay for something very inconsequential. It was a humanitarian act, not a criminal act.

Chief Moore, summarily I have three issues:

1. 311 - calls were not relayed to animal control, specifically on 10/5

2. the police officer only had to interview Gina Specksgooer to better understand her motives and actions

3. city workers should be thoroughly checking houses for live animals before boarding them tight.

I appreciate the time you took to read my letter. My grandfather was a state trooper and I have always had respect for law enforcement. I hope you will forward my concerns to the proper department and I hope to gain whatever guidance they can offer to me.

Sincerely,

Of course I never got a reply to this, but I hope I caught the attention of a few.  

There are two, possibly three cats that are pregnant now.  One on Second (hoping to trap again tomorrow to get her), one on Webster (I saw her this morning, very very pregnant), and one possibly on Seventh.  She is there every morning, very sweet and lets me feel her belly, and I suspect she is in early stages.

I have to travel for work early next month, and I am worried.  I need help with the kitties feeding them each day.  I am hoping I can recruit a few brave strong friends to the 50+ kitties I feed each day, breaking up the routes so that they don't have to feed at all 16 (strike that) 15 locations, and at thier own convenience - not everyone can get up that early, or brave the dark like I do!  :)  But I pray that I can get help for these four days I have to be away.  Of course I would supply all the food too!   In the meantime, I wish you a good day, a great weekend, and I hope you can make a difference in someone's, or something's life in some small way.  :)  

"You can't test courage cautiously."  

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear the house is gone for the kitties Janine.....the letter you sent to chief Moore is exellent, but I have to wonder how much notice they take of these situations. Of course you would be worried about the 4 days you must take off for work, so am I. You are the one that gives the rest of us so much comfort by knowing that the cats are feed and watered each day

    ReplyDelete