Thursday, March 14, 2013

Rant


First off, I just got the news that Sabrina, the kitty I picked up two weeks ago off Central Park that was very very pregnant delivered her babies overnight.  She had five live kittens and one stillborn.  I can't tell you how sad this made me feel hearing it.  I can't imagine a mother delivering a dead baby.  You have to wonder if these animals feel grief.  She most certainly felt pain, from what I heard.  She was a tiny kitty to begin with, and to have six babies inside her.  Unbelieveable.  I am so grateful to Diane, who was her 'midwife', and stayed with her throughout the experience, and is grieving right along with her.  And you know what?  These are tragedies, not only the stillborn, nor the birth of five more unwanted kittens, but also the irresponsiblity of HUMANS!  How can we allow animals to roam free and procreate right under our noses!  I don't care if you are rich or poor, black or white, educated or not, we must get a handle on this!  The suffering I see on a daily basis is sickening to me because it could be prevented!

And then you have the other half, the dog owners, that adopt a cute little puppy or doggy, and then decide that you can't keep it for one reason or another.  They are YOUR responsiblity!!  If you die, thats one thing, but allergy sufferers, you can get treatments - I have a girlfriend that has four cats - two she adopted from me when I needed her to, and she is highly allergic, but lives with it.  She LOVES her cats, and wouldn't think of giving them up.  You have a child?  Well, your animal is a child too!  "Product of divorce - neither party can keep her?"  Are you serious????  I guess I am on a rant about this because today I received TWO e-mails asking me to send around a note for each to try to find these poor dogs a new home.  I am not blaming the people that sent them, they are just trying to help the animal, but it saddens me, and thats the way I start my day, after seeing what I do on the streets to begin with each morning.

Someone said to me the other day 'the older I get, the softer I get'.  Thats what is happening to me because this morning I rescued the little kitten from Second Street.  He is about four or five months old.  Just a little itty bitty thing.  I will have pictures tomorrow, and I sure do have a full house now, but with the temperatures being in the teens this mornings, winds whipping over 40+ mph, I just couldn't allow this little guy that was hovering under me waiting for food to stay there.  I need a name for him, would love some suggestions.  I was thinking Pippa, but thats kind of a girls name, and I think he is a boy.

Please everyone, take a stance - make a difference, try to help in some small way - either by adopting or fostering a dog or cat, or help me to help them.

"Make the most of yourself, because that is all there is of you."

3 comments:

  1. I hear you Janine, and it is all so true. I have passed the request on to one person that is outside our circle, will be great if we can all pass it to somebody for you. Glad you picked up that baby, he''s world has already changed, and I believe the mummy cat would certainly know one of her babies was lifeless, a big thank you to Diane for her compassion which we would not know about, if not for your work Janine, More prayers for our homeless babies sent today,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pip (from Great Expectations) is a great boy name. I read the Craigslist pet listings every morning and marvel at the excuses. The saddest are the puppies at 5 plus months that have had no training. That obviously have been crated most of their young lives while their owners are off at work. People get cute puppies then they GROW. If you don't plan to train a pup and care for a full-grown dog, please don't get a puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name Pip for a kitten! Honestly, I don't know how you show as much restraint as you do when it comes to bringing home kitties.

    Some people really make me sick with their selfishness and callousness. Thank God for people like you and Diane and Julie and all the others that are out there helping the helpless.

    ReplyDelete