Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Too Little, Too Late, Too Many, Too Early!



Jack, the Country Dog
(Parents:  Kristin and Darrin)
 Sometimes I say things on this blog that I probably shouldn't.  SOMETIMES.  But most of the time, this blog is for me to spew what is on my mind - its about my thoughts, my feelings, my opinions.  The worst thing is the world for me would be to hurt someone's feelings.  So, I apologize now if I ever hurt you or will hurt you with my opinions, honest!  I cherish each and every person in my life for different reasons, there are so many reasons to cherish each person in my life.  I may get frustrated with people in my life, but I don't hate, and don't hold grudges.  People have to do what they need to in order for their lives to work.  I understand that.  But I also believe that we all need to think of the consequences of our actions.  There is a bigger picture than what you see.  There is more going on than what the eye can see.

I am finding it hard to rejoice in the wins in my life.  I got a note yesterday from someone pointing out the fact that most of the kitties I brought to Lollipop have been adopted.  I couldn't even get excited!  I am focusing on too many negatives right now.  Sabrina, the cat I rescued who gave birth within a week after that lost another baby.  She has four surviving kittens now.  Pumpkin and Magic were returned to me two weeks ago after four months.  My own 10 year old puppy Thunder - we are seriously considering ending his life.  He has bladder cancer, and is having a lot of accidents in the house.  He is slowing down too, for sure.  Its a sad thing to have to watch.  And now there is Howard.

I got a note last evening from the family that adopted Howard, the eight month old boy I rescued from Second Street about four weeks ago.  I brought him to his new home maybe two and half weeks ago, and he joined a female cat that had also just been recently adopted.  Unbeknownst to the humans, the female cat was pregnant and just gave birth this past weekend.  Apparently, even before this, the female hated Howard with a passion.  There is much conflict in the house, and the two are separated.  The family now wants to return Howard.  I have since had two other cats returned - Magic and Pumpkin - due to the husband's allergies.  I also just rescued little Paddy last week.  And Earl is still the Duke, he hasn't been adopted out yet either.  And remember Daisy?  She is still with me.  I am having a hard time now - I need to get all four adopted out quick!  My house is chaotic as it is, with all the different personalities.  My own cats, they are as patient and sweet as they can be, accepting all these new cats, but there is conflict, and there are a few Time Out rooms set aside for the scrappers.  Its hard, but what am I going to do?  I couldn't leave these babies on the streets - and I most certainly cannot now bring them to Lollipop to sit in cages waiting for adoption, they are too used to roaming free amongst the warmth and comfort of my home.

I am praying this woman will think twice and give it more time.  I know that even the worst of cats will eventually learn to get along.  If anyone has any wisdom or advice, I would appreciate you passing it along so that I can pass along to Howard's mom, so that she doesn't make a decision that will upset all parties - her, me and Howard. 

Above is a picture of my pretty boy Pumpkin, who needs a loving home.  He is about 8 months old, and a very sweet and loving personality. 

Above is a picture of pretty boy Magic - Pumpkin's brother, who needs a loving home - same age, same circumstance! 

Above is pretty boy Paddy, five months old, and as cuddly as can be.  He needs a home! 

And finally, here is Earl!  Earl will do well with less cats in the house.  He is stalked daily by Scooter, the brat. 

3 comments:

  1. It also disheartens me to know kittys are returned, homeless again. Everyone is grateful to the "would-be" new owners of these cats, perhaps the period of adjustment and thinking thru a way to handle this, other than quitting has not occured to them yet ? I have 7 of my own, and the only thing I can say, is that there is a way, but like anything, you have to commit to do it each and every time something occurs that you deem is unreasonable. Water spray bottle with 50% vinigar l worked for us, if the aggressor is sprayed when stalking or initiating weaker cat, just keep the bottle close to you, now that much,is not difficult, surely not too much of a bother to stop what one is doing and give a quick squirt ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor mom cat will calm down once her hormones settle down. She was/is only following her instincts to protect her brood. If the owner can wait just a few more weeks things will get much better.
    ps - the spray bottle is a good idea HOWEVER no vinigar PLEASE - it might get in the eyes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could she trade Howard for one of your mellow female kitties that might not seem as threatening to new mama? Then no net gain of kitties in youR house...

    ReplyDelete