Monday, March 4, 2013


Meet Franklin.  Franklin is a very sweet tabby cat that I've been feeding for a few weeks now on Hayward, along with Boots, Bugsy, and a few others.  Yesterday morning, Sunday, I noticed a very large abcess on his cheek, and knew I had to do something.  This morning, I swooped him up, and placed him in my carrier.  He is in my bathroom now, and will be going to Lollipop for hopeful treatment and adoption.  I will alert my friend there to keep an eye out for him. 

I have a lot of people who are opposed to me taking cats to Lollipop, a humane shelter, that has had bad statistics in the past of euthanasia of cats.   But I would say to  you to walk a mile in my shoes each and every day, where I see an average of three cats at each of my 16 shelters, thats about 50 cats every single morning, and some are tough and I know will survive another day, and then there are the sick ones, the ones who are suffering with one wound or another, and I have no other alternative for them.  Can't I bring to a vet for treatment?  IF I had the money to do that - and then what, let them back out?   To face the same danger that injured them in the first place?  I am struggling to pay my own household bills let alone feeding 50 cats every single day and I need my job, I can't be late here and there.  I am confident that Franklin will have a great chance at adoption because he is so very sweet, and so affectionate.  I am confident that they will treat his abcess and put him out there for adoption.  I'm the one that gets up every single morning, never missing a day, facing all kinds of brutal weather out there, seeing their faces when I pull up.  How do you know they aren't begging me to take them from their surroundings?  Wouldn't you be?  Or are you willing to take them?  I will continue to ease the ones that are suffering out there.  Whether you like it or not.

This weekend I also had two cats returned to me after being adopted out last November.  Pumpkin and Magic are the sons of Vanessa, the new mom I rescued from Pennsylvania Street last fall.   The woman that brought them back yesterday, due to her husband's allergies...............  (I won't say anything)......................... were well cared for.  They have to be two of the prettiest cats I've seen.  (see pictures)

PUMPKIN

MAGIC

MAGIC'S TAIL!!

VANESSA MOMMY!
Each is a red and black fluffball, their tail, as you can see, is a puffball.  I have four now that I need to find homes for - Earl, Daisy, and now Pumpkin and Magic.  Spread the word!

On another great note, I adopted out young Howard on Saturday, two weeks to the day I rescued him off the streets, to a GREAT set of parents!  I am thrilled about this, he will be a lake kitty, with lake views from just about any window he curls himself up to.  I will be happy to share pictures as they come my way.

And finally, Sabrina, the very pregnant kitty I rescued Friday morning has gone on to her foster home awaiting the birth of her babies.  Thank you Diane and Julie!!! 

4 comments:

  1. Janine you cannot let anyone make you feel bad about taking anyone to Lollypop. Most people don't understand how Lolly works, in that IF a cat is placed for adoption on the floor, it is safe until adopted, barring any untreatable medical issues or extreme aggression. So IF they have room and put the kitty up for adoption it is SAFE. You have someone working with you to let you know when it is better than other times to bring them, and have the best chance. You are doing the best you can do and anyone who doesn't agree with that needs to step up and pay for the care and foster these cats themselves. It is very easy for others to sit back and judge when they are not the ones dealing with the problem. You always have my support! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janine (back from vac.) - I can't believe ANYONE would have a negative comment about the adoption pgm at Lollipop or your attempts to get some kitties into it. It's another option to them remaining on the streets, which is not a life for any living thing. Keep up the great work Janine.....you've done wonders in just the week I was gone!! Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with Julie and Nancy. Janine you yourself are at very real risk, going into that crime ridden neighbourhood each day, and, do have some means to protect your self from the danger that thrives there, but the cats cannot protect them selves from those that seek to harm them, in that neighbourhood. It is too awful to recall the incidents of animal abuse, that so often takes place in low socioeconomic areas,( but not involving exclusive to) if you have any detractors for your efforts involving Lollypop Farm, perhaps they would benefit from a ride along some morning to see what you see ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have more empathy for people with true cat allergies, they are horrible! I cannot have a cat for that reason in my home, although I love them. Also think about getting a small pistol/training or take some self defense classes to protect yourself while you are doing the wonderful work that you do every day. Bless you in your travels.

    ReplyDelete