Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Complications & Another Rescue

Its amazing how fast things change.  How I am on top of the world one moment, and the next, its all down hill.

First off, I have total anxiety today, which is what I ALWAYS feel the day before I have to TNR.  I have four more slots with Lollipop for Trap Neuter Return through the grant they graciously allowed me to participate in last spring.  Thats tomorrow morning.  Wish me luck.

Second, I got a note from the family that came over on Sunday to adopt out Stretch/Harold.  They want to return him, as he has gone into hiding, and was howling all night, his first night.  The only thing I can say about this is that its sad all around.  I wish they would give it more time, but you can't convince people to always do this.  The other sad part is that I am going to have to bring him to Lollipop.  I have no one else that will take him (anybody??) when he is returned, and I cannot have any more cats in my house at this time.

The next bit of bad news is that there is another pregnant cat on Hayward, and I believe this is the same kitty that was trapped for days in the apartment in the house next door to where I feed.  She is a very petite little kitty, and friendly, waits for me each morning, and let me feel her tiny, but I think growing belly.  I am not sure what to do with this one.

Angel/Red and Lucy are doing fine at the Finger Lakes Racetrack.  I got a picture of them this morning where they are hanging out in the rafters, eating well, still not socializing with their new 'mom', and it does take time, but they will come around.  I guess that is good news.  I would rather they do that than be on the street that they came from.  They at least have access to shelter and food - which is not guaranteed on the city streets. 

The only good news I have to share today is that I rescued a kitty from Parsells, I am calling her Alexis, and she is very pregnant - she is pictured above.  I had made arrangements with Another Chance Pet Rescue the day prior, who will take her in to foster her and her babies when they are born.  That is IF she passes the combo test which is scheduled for this morning at 9:20.  ACPR is already overloaded with kittens and still pregnant moms being fostered, so I am forever grateful to them for whatever they can take.

This is so hard for me.  I try to do so much - It seems like I take two steps forward and one step back almost daily.  Not only do I get up and feed 40 - 50 cats a day, 365 days a year, but I rescue them, I get them neutered/spayed, I try to find them homes and they don't always work out.  To take them back is the hardest part of all.  With Stretch/Harold, I could see what a really good boy he was for me.  Its just sad.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Janine, I feel for you on this, our "disposable society" today, does nothing to promote in our community, responsibility or commitment. Walk away mothers/fathers, caregivers, pet owners, mortgages, they are all there. It is particularly distressing when the abandoment, "voluntary surrender" leaves any living creature helpless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How stupid can people be? Of course he's going to howl, he's scared! Poor Stretch. It's not his fault people just don't want to do a little bit of work and take a little bit of time to make him feel at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the hell is wrong with people?! I can't agree more with the two posts above. I hope the 'family' that offered to adopt Harold would realize that you do NOT simply return/give away a pet just because it's.... oh yeah, scared to death. How frustrating to hear. Ask them if one of their kids didn't 'fit in' right away, would they give them away too? Tell them to get a Chia pet or pet rock instead of a real pet. AAARRRRGGGHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to comment on the comments above. I couldn't agree more with you on proper procedure of handling of new cats, but I've met this family, they are good people, and were willing to take in a less adoptable older cat over a young one. Fortunately, if they do decide to return Harold/Stretch, they may take one of my other younger guys I have in the house that need adoption - Daisy or Paddy. Harold was fresh off the street and was a lover boy to me, but he was confined also. He didn't make a sound at night either. Again, he was confined to a room. He was very anxious to see me come through the door in the morning though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't want to get my head bitten off for saying anything, but did you TELL them that when he was confined in one room he was not scared and did not make a sound at night? and that that is the correct way of introducing ANY new cat to a new household? and that they HAD to keep him at LEAST a week if not more to give him a chance? You and they already KNOW that he is a loving cat- not a feralish cat who might not ever fit in. Maybe you can just tell them that you have no time to get him back from them until next weekend or something!
    and I am glad to hear that the cats at the stable are still there. from the sounds of it they weren't caged or confined like it is critical to do so that they can get acclimated- standard procedure. good thing they didn't take off running! even tame cats will do that sometimes when in a new environement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why not get the "new" pregnant kitty spayed at Lollypop tomorrow morning! she is not ready to pop, you said you THINK she is pregnant, and that is one cat guaranteed that you will get out of the four.

    ReplyDelete