Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Barn Cats

HOW IT WORKS


Barn Cats are supposed to be provided with these necessities:

  • An initial safe holding area such as a small storage room where they can be held and acclimated for 1-2 weeks 
  • Sufficient shelter, especially during harsh weather
  • Dry cat food given on a regular basis
  • Fresh, clean water at all times
  • An environment free from aggressive dogs or other menacing animals.
I have placed four cats in barns since I've been involved in this cat business.  The first oneI took off the streets was from Seventh, and the next two from Central.  This was YEARS ago, maybe three or four, and I remember their names as being Rex, Max and Tommy.  They were all great kitties, and year after year I felt so bad for them, in fact it was wintertime and they were living on the corner of Central and Goodman, and it was just pathetic to see them every day.  I had heard about someone who was looking for barn cats, got in touch, and was lucky enough to bring all three out to her.  She kept them in separate cages in her garage for a few weeks, had one neutered during that time period, and finally set them free.  They are there to this day.  Mary Ann lives in Webster and has an old horse barn on her property that they live in if they aren't in the garage waiting for her to spoil them.  Such a perfect situation that was.

This past summer I had a chance to bring one of my newly spayed (pregnant) females I rescued from Garson I think to a barn situation in Ontario through Karen at Four Legged Friends, along with a kitty that she had provided for them.  I am not sure how that fared - because unfortunately, when I am not allowed or able to be the point person in situations like this, including adopting out my cats, I don't have the ability to do check ups on them, but last I heard, early summer, the kitties were still there.  I am not happy about that, but sometimes you get into desperate situations where you don't want to place the cat back on the street after a neutering, and this is better than that.

I have another chance to rescue a cat, one of dozens that I feed each day, and turn it into a barn cat.  Through Julie's website, at Another Chance Pet Rescue, she has a plea out for barn owners to take in cats.  Someone responded this past week, and Julie was able to give one of the kitties she was feeding on her own street a chance at having a different kind of life in a barn, rather than on a street.  They wanted a second cat to this one, so Julie thought of me.  Thank you Julie!  In the past four days now, since I've known about this, its been very difficult to choose just the right one. They are all so needy, and susceptible to their environments.  And do I take this one away from that one - these cats are grouped together like families in some of the spots I feed at.  But I am thinking about Grady (Grey Cat on Third).  He hangs with Bully, they hiss and swat at each other to be the center of attention when I arrive at the pathetic porch of the abandoned, graffiteed house that I feed them on.  He is a beautiful pure grey cat that would make someone very happy, but I can't find a home for him.  So I am thinking he might be the one.  I just hate leaving him each day.

I must end this now, I could go on and on, and I will give you updates on Big Red (now called Sandy) and Puddles/Elvis (now called Baby Montego) as soon as I am able.  Oh, and don't forget about Butters (now called Thurston) and Pumpkin and Magic! 



1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I share your concern because I have had a bad experiance with some people who ask for barn cats or "mouser". Not always the case, but it does happen. I will e mail you the name and address of 2 barns where it did not work out well for the cats in Rochester area. I did send animal inspector to these barns, but "after the fact" is rarely satisfactory.

    ReplyDelete