Wednesday, October 24, 2012

It was a damp and foggy morning...

Sounds like the beginning of a good ghost story!  But its just a normal description of the fall weather here in Rochester!

At my fourth stop, where Red (not to be confused with Big Red) and Boots hang on Hayward, I have always had a nice wooden hut and food dishes on the porch.  I have rescued quite a few cats from this spot - Emma, Rufus, Butters, to name just a few.   Recently, if you will recall, I went there one morning and found the worker inside and we had a nice chat, at 5:30  in the morning, and he was telling me that someone was going to be renting the couple of years now boarded up house.  So I was warned, but you are never prepared to pull up and find your stuff on the side of road.  Your first instinct is to protect the cats that are going to be displaced.  So, I stood there wondering what to do.  They were hungry and waiting for me, all four kitties.  A young black woman came out of the house across the street to open her metal gate so she could leave, assuming, for work.  I greeted her, walked over and asked her is she knew of any vacant houses on this dead end street.  She pointed to a few that were newly occupied, and I told her my dilemma, and she pointed to a house across the way and said she loves animals, but it was 5:30 am. and I couldn't just go knocking on someone's door at that time.  So I placed the bowls under a tree in front of her house while the kitties gathered around waiting for me to put the food down, and then left a note on the porch door where I was kicked off and it read "that was cruel to do to the cats" and left my cell number.  Just in case they wanted to call me and I could give them a piece of my mind, or they might even suggest something else for the cats.  I had the hut removed and brought to the side of the house just down a ways from there - where the owner allows me to feed.  I may have to try coaxing these cats to this location, even though it will be a stretch.  There is always some upheaval, some drama, happening on my route.

I've been seeing this little girl for weeks now too.  Long haired, beautiful, sweet and shy.  She is out at 5:25 every morning.  Hungry, wet.  I took this photo of her this morning.  Must keep my eye on her.  She is not eartipped, nor does she feel pregnant.


Tomorrow is TNR Thursday, and I am hoping to get a few kitties - I left minimal food at each of my locations just in case one or the other doesn't work out.  Mind you, I have ONE HOUR to feed and TNR, thats a lot to accomplish.  Laura will help me with transport, and hopefully be a back up for me if I can't get two kitties, which is my allotment at Lollipop.  So, wish me luck on that one. 

I want to share a few pictures of Butters/Thurston in his new home.  I am so thankful to get updates from his mommy!  I have yet to hear from the woman who took in Magic and Pumpkin, but praying I do soon.  When you rescue a kitten, your heart melts.  There is more of an emotional attachment because of their baby like qualities.  Their little cries, their dependency on you, they need more cuddling that they can't get from their mom anymore because she is not around (in Butter's case).  So adopting these babies out was hard for me as I am used to rescuing the adult cats. 



3 comments:

  1. Why don't you contact the woman who adopted magic and Pumpkin instead of waiting to see IF she contacts you? Somewhere in my adoption travels I heard that what is customary, recommended, etc is to check in with the adopter at 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, to make sure all is going well. she certainly shouldn't mind you checking in with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because this was sort of done with a friend who has a dog rescue - I am sure my friend will call the woman, I just need to ask her. I do have the adopters' number, and am just giving her a few more days. She was going to make a vet appt. for them this past Monday and was also going to send me a few pictures. My custom is to check the very next day! But in this circumstance, I just have to trust. I will find out before the weekend, for sure. Thank you for your advice!! :)

      Delete
  2. Jeepers, they couldnt make things more difficult for you and the kittys if they tried.... whats it costing them for the cats to be there ? nothing. Even with TNR education, some people just wont cooperate, they choose to have a belidgerent attitude in all aspects of their life. Only because of you Janine, do these poor cats have a scrap of comfort......

    ReplyDelete