Monday, October 8, 2012

Updates from the Weekend

If my friend Kristin hadn't driven from Churchville (about 20 miles) all the way to my house on Saturday morning at 5 am. in the pouring rain, the morning would have been a wash out.  (yuk yuk).    Kristin's intention was to bring some wooden shelters to me and help me place them.  It was a very nasty morning weather wise.  Cold and damp and pouring rain, and it didn't let up.  I had a plastic grocery bag tied over my head to protect my just done the night before $30 ironed straight hair for that evening's gala.    I looked like a sight, but who's looking anyways on a rainy Saturday morningat 5 am.  Not even the kitties were out waiting for me.  None of the shelters were disturbed over night, except the one on Garson where I am having a tough time convincing the owner of this house to allow me to continue to feed on the porch because it's roof is Big Red, Talkie, Lucille and the injured neck kitty's only protection of their food from the harsh weather.

So it was nice to have a partner in crime with me that morning.  She provided a different perspective on how to place a few boards, to help me throw tarp over a few, and to set up the huts.  I still have a long way to go - I need boards and I need tarps.  I am glad I have the extra shelters that I've been provided lately, thank you Bob, thank you Jessica, thank you Maree - because who knows how long the others I've placed will last.  I am just sorry that Kristin didn't get to see the kitties that sit there waiting for me at all of my locations.  They do not like the pouring rain.  Most of them waited it out elsewhere, which is another proof that my shelters need some work.  My only fear keeping me from building a Taj Mahal for each of my spots is someone taking and trashing the stuff I leave.  Why can't everyone have compassion in their hearts for these helpless creatures.  Why.

A great update:  I last told you about a friend in NYC who happened upon a new litter of six kittens.  He was able to get five of the six kittens that were inside a fenced in cell tower.  They were brought to the shelter Thursday night where they were greeted by a woman who was immediately calling rescue groups around the city, much like Another Chance Pet Rescue here in Rochester, that could possibly care for the newborns until they were ready for adoption.  At my instruction to him, he went back the next morning for the sixth kitten who's eyes were closed shut, and was able to grab her.  Within hours, she was adopted by a co-worker, and brought to the vet that night for a checkup.  Here is Beyonce, in all her little glory, in a desk drawer awaiting her ride home that day.  GREAT NEWS.  Thanks Kevin.  You are an angel of mercy. 

.

2 comments:

  1. As my brother back home is a Kevin, I am convinced "kevins" are good people no matter where they live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I'm so glad all the kittens are safe. What a little cutie. I'll let the Girl Scouts know you need boards and tarps. :)

    ReplyDelete