Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wet and Wild

It was a cool and damp October morning out there...  my sneakers always get wet when I go out in the morning.  Most of my kitties were around, but again, I have not seen Orangie since the house was demolished, and another of 'my kitties' on Hayward, a black male that used to run to my car at one spot there (I feed at two places on that street) and wait until I was done feeding Red and Boots, and then he would run after my car to 'his' spot down the street, hasn't been around since I saw him limping one day over a week ago.  I can only imagine the worst for both of them. 

All shelters remained untouched overnight, which is a good thing.  I happened upon a man in the house of the porch where I feed cats on Hayward - Red and Boots - this morning.  He is apparently the worker who has been doing renovations in the house.  I walked up (at 5:30 am.) to the house and introduced myself.  He was a quiet, softspoken guy, and he had been there since 1 am. working - had planned on going  home later that day to sleep!  He said he didn't mind about the hut on the porch and me feeding the cats, and that the owner didn't seem to have a problem.  He did say that the new tenants might.  He told me he didn't know when, but that someone would be moving in.  I told him as I left that I am always prepared for the worst, but for now, things were OK.  He also mentioned that the bus company next door might be buying up the land there to expand their terminal.  So he thought his renovations were a waste of time and money, but was glad to get a paycheck regardless.

On Bay this morning, around 5:45 am., I passed a black woman and black man that looked like they were fighting and the woman was walking backwards away from him with her arms flailing, and I stopped, opened my window and asked if SHE were OK.  She came up to my car and said with tears sliding down her cheeks, she reassured me she was OK, and said 'you are the girl that feeds the cats', and she said God bless you, and again reassured me she was fine - that it was her boyfriend and they were just fighting.  She told me to put my seatbelt on, twice, and again smiled at me.  People know me around this section of town, and its a good thing.  I think most people respect what I do, and leave me alone. There are just a few bad apples that want to stir up trouble by removing my stuff.  But for the most part, people are just trying to survive here.

1 comment:

  1. My prayers for orangie and black and white kitty, do let us know if they come back......and may God always go with you J.

    ReplyDelete