Friday, October 5, 2012

TGIF

For sure, although I will working 14 hours tomorrow at our hospital gala preparing from morning until evening when the first guest arrives, and then its registration time until the last guest arrives.  My feet ache, I don't get enough sleep, and my poor kitties will miss me terribly.  They love me so.  They can't get enough attention from me.  I even gave them playtime this morning, they loved it.

Laura released two males this morning that she trapped and brought to Lollipop for neutering.  I am so grateful to her for going the extra mile and helping me to help this section of town.  I am sure she would like to be done with it and move on, as we all know there are many neighorhoods that need someone like her, but for now, I will accept her help most graciously.  My problem is time and transportation.  I can't get up any earlier than I already do, and feed and re-shelter as many spots as I do, and still make it back home to get ready for a full day at work.

Speaking of re-sheltering, the board I had moved with Maree a couple of weeks ago - from the dilapitated garage of the remodeled house on corner of Ferndale and Webster - was gone this morning.  That was a perfect, and heavy board that was sheltering the cats that had to move to this lot due to the house being demolished a couple weeks ago at the lot next door.  It was very upsetting to me.  I wound up going into the dilapitated garage and scrounging up some large cardboard pieces and dragging those over to the fence as lean-to's until I can figure out what to do next about this situation.  And just prior to that, over on Garson, the owner of the gutted house must have been there, or a worker of his, and moved the carrier off the porch along with the blanket and dishes that I've been using to feed Big Red, Lucille, Talkie and the neck wound kitty.  It was placed on the ground off the porch.  At least it wasn't all trashed.  I moved everything back up and wrote a note pleading for leniency.  I left my number, and I am hoping he will allow me to continue.  As a backup, looking down the street from there, I could see a house that is boarded up in front but a tenant in the back.  I left a note on their car windshield asking if I could feed cats on their porch and left my business card with it.  I pray someone has some compassion here.  It makes me so sad.

For a little better news...  I got a call from an ex co-worker who got a job in Philadelphia during a staff meeting late yesterday.  He happened to be in New York City and going past a cell tower enclosure downtown, with a metal gate around it, etc. and saw two newborn kittens and immediately called me for advice.  As we were talking, he said "theres another one, oh, there's another one, oh' theres another one," and on and on, of course this broke my heart as he was asking me what to do.  I told him to go get a box and put the kittens in there.  He didn't see any sign of the mother.  Then he told me a fifth kitten came out to him but that there was another one in the rusted box inside that didn't have its eyes open.  He couldnt' get it.  He had called the police, fire department, and North Shore Animal League which was closed, but police and fire wouldn't help him.  I then told him to get these cats to the shelter in Manhattan before they closed at 7 pm. and to go back there in the morning to see if he could get the sixth kitten.  Well, he did, and he got it.    He called me earlier this morning to report this and I gave him advice on feeding this kitten until Kevin's meeting ended at noon.  He was housing this lone kitten in a box and I advised him to get Pedialyte and a dropper from Duane Reed drug store as pet stores were closed and to feed it a little until he could get the baby to the shelter at noon today.  I am so proud to know this man, and to be able to be there for him when he needed advice.  He may have saved six lives!  Here is the picture of the first five he rescued.  Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Oh they are adorable Janine !! good work to save the babies all the way from Rochester. Hhmm, Im thinking of that board, of course we knew it wouldnt be long before it went. I wonder if a sheet of tin would do ? perhaps they are taking it for firewood, or to patch holes in their house? I know that type of wood is not cheap. Would it be possible to entice the kittys to another spot ? praying for success with this. xxx M

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! What a great story about the kittens. Your friend is one of the good ones. :)

    ReplyDelete