Monday, October 22, 2012

Miraculous Monday!


Well, its been a great weekend.  Well, great in the fact that Pumpkin and Magic were adopted out on Saturday!  It was a complete surprise.  I was meeting Sue from Another Chance Dog Rescue (soon to be Susie Q Dog Rescue) for lunch to thank her for the many things she has done for me over the years, and to get a painting I bid on at her last fundraiser that I wound up winning but wasn't there at the end of the evening to retrieve.  I bid $10 on a beautiful flower abstract painting to brighten up Wally's home.  He has nothing on his bare dull colored walls, and I figured it would be nice to have something pretty to see when he comes home.  About an hour before I left the house Sue called me and asked if I still had Pumpkin because someone contacted her, through Sue's website that had pictures of Butters, Pumpkin and Magic posted for adoption, and was interested in him!  I then asked Sue if she would ask if the person would also consider Magic, and sure enough, Sue asked me to transport both along!  They are now in their new forever home, and at last conversation on Sunday, the kittens were adjusting well with their two new canine siblings, mommy and daddy, and were going to the vets as soon as the appointment was made today for their shots and neutering!  What wonderful luck that is.  Thank you Sue for allowing that to happen!

Speaking of Wally, who took in Larry for me when I needed to find a home quickly for the little guy, his cell phone was stolen from his porch on Saturday.  Wally called me Saturday and told me about it.  He was able to get another one quickly, the same day.  In the meantime, yesterday, I was driving over to Wally's to bring him some meatloaf and mashed potatoes I had made for dinner, and my cell phone rang.  It was from Wally's phone, which he was able to keep the same number on his new phone.  The voice was that of a young black male, and I asked him what he was doing with the phone, someone else's, an old man's phone to be exact, and he said he found it.  I then said 'can I get it back for my friend, and this guy asked what he could get in return.  I told him I had some meatloaf, fresh bisquits, and a frozen TV dinner, that I had nothing else.  He wound up telling me to drive down a certain street, right near Wally's and he would trade me the meatloaf for the phone.  Crazy.  I KNOW.  But it was broad daylight, and I felt safe.  The guy told me to park on the side of the street, and he would come out.  I pulled over for a second and then turned around in the driveway to face the opposite way, and saw the kid come out of a house, which I got the number of, and through a small crack in the window, I looked at the kid and said 'are you serious, you are trying to barter a phone that you 'found' for meatloaf?  I wound up giving him the frozen dinner and the bisquits, and drove off telling him that I was sure God was proud of him!  He got my point.  And I got Wally's phone, which he now had no use for.  But its the point of the matter!!!  These kids can't get away with stuff like this!  But Wally would not press charges, and I had to let it go.  I know, I am NUTS.

An update on Butters:  brought tears to my eyes!  "Lovey" is another rescue kitten, around the same age as Butters, now called Thurston.  Robyn writes:  "Thank you all for bringing Lovey and Thurston to us!!!!  I apologize for any repeats in these pics, but I of course, I could look at these pictures every day!  Lovey and Thurston - 97% of the time are cuddle-bugs together - of course they have their moments (usually in the morning) - when they rip/tear around the house and at/with each other, sound like a herd of Elephants (for two kittens) - and then you find them in the positions of these pics on their on accord!"

I placed some of the straw I had been holding in my garage around some of my spots this weekend.  I am trying my best to prepare the shelters for what is coming, which as you can tell by now, I am DREADING.  Not only for the cats enduring the harsh and deadly weather, but for myself going out into it too.  It takes a toll on me, as I am not getting any younger, which I've realized this past year, with all of my aches and pains.   My wish list for today?  Heavy tarp, the kind you rake leaves on to, and small bowls.  Ideal would be with a flat bottom, so that they can't be blown away by the wind as easily, and about the size of your head, well, maybe about 20 inches in circumference?  OK, I am getting a little wierd here, but you get my drift.  The paper plates I am using just aren't going to withstand the weather, as I am seeing now with all the rain we've had.  Plus the wind blows the paper all over the place.  So those are the two main items on my wishlist.  If it can't be a tarp, I would love to at least have a nice heavy duty table cloth, plastic.   Tomorrow I will have some details and descriptions of my spots.  I have some "regulars" that I want to share a bit about - in hopes that maybe someone would want to adopt or foster any of these sweet souls out there that are just waiting for me to take them away from their miserable lives in the hood. 

4 comments:

  1. Janine, you are nuts...lol. That was a dangerous thing to do. Maybe God protects good people like you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets hope! So far, so good though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could never do that Janine, you astound me with your faith and courage. Will drop off a couple of small things for you this week, I am worried about winter for the Red kitty...... ( and I saw a fresh rat hole in the garden today )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, two kittens in one weekend! Awesome!! (When I told my mom, she half-jokingly asked if you had rescued another cat yet. LOL!)

    Has Sue put Vanessa, Rufus, Buster, and Midnight on her Petfinder? They are such sweet kitties and deserve their forever homes. I'm so glad that Butters has a new friend and has adjusted so well. *happy sigh* :)

    ReplyDelete