Saturday, June 16, 2012

Rescued

The kitten has been rescued from the crazy person.  She wasn't home and the landlord's sister went in and got the poor thing.  The kitten was brought to RAS (Rochester Animal Shelter).  It will be there for five days before they kill it.  Poor little guy.   If anyone would like to adopt him, please go there today.  But thank God he is out of harms way with her.

Another update:  The cat with the severe injury has been trapped.  I am not sure what will be done with him, another person helped me out with it, and I will wait to see what will happen to the little guy, but I am so thankful he will not spend another day on the street suffering with his wounds. 

Larry, the kitty I finally rescued last Tuesday with the bad ear, who has been with my dear friend Nancy, was brought to the vet yesterday.  No ear mites, just a bad bacterial infection brewing within.  The ear has a hematoma, but its an old one and hardened.  It will be looked a a little more closer when he goes under the knife next week for neutering.  The other 'problem' is that he tested positive for FIV.  The vet that saw him told her he must not come into contact with other cats, nor share their food and water bowls.  I don't agree with this.  I have had Boris with FIV for over six years now and never a problem.  Can someone dispense a little advice for me?  I want to give her good facts so that when Larry is adopted, his potential new mom or dad can know this is not a bad thing.   He warmed everyone's hearts in the vets office.   Such a good boy.

7 comments:

  1. FIV is passed only through deep bite wounds. the virus is fragile, and can't survive out in the air. It's very common, upwards of 50%, amongst the population of cats who frequently exchange bite wounds (ie, unneutered males) - another reason to neuter male cats before they are sexually mature. It is immune suppressive, so they can be susceptible to infections, and dental/gum disease, so they should be in a home where they'll stay on top of vet care.
    Here's a link, with more info: http://www.bestfriends.org/theanimals/petcare/cats_fiv.cfm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the added info on FIV. I just can't keep another cat, but if I did....Larry would be the one. He is soooo sweet. He's taking his ear meds like a pro. He also has a cracked canine tooth which they'll examine better when he's under. He'll be (almost) good as new, and now that he's inside, hopefully the FIV will stay in control. He shows NO symptoms from it. I'm enjoying his company. Janine, I'll send you pixs this wk.
    I'm soooooo glad crazy lady's kitty has been rescued AND the injured kitty on the street. Great job!! Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God that little kitten is safe from his abuser. He's so cute someone should want him!

    Glad to hear that Larry is doing well and the injured cat is off the street. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janine,
    Call Karen from Four Legged Friends about the FIV kitty. She has tons of information/brochures on this very subject. They (new owners) should not be afraid of this great cat. Cats with FIV can live a long and healthy lifestyle, even with other cats. But give her a shout, or email her, and have her direct you to the proper websites so you can then tell your client for this kitty, not to be worried.
    I was soooo glad to hear you got this kitten from Crazy Lucy! It made my day. But what upset me was you said the Animal Shelter of Rochester will put this poor baby to sleep in five days??? WTH? Someone please please grab this poor helpless baby before they kill it. I was outraged when I read this. I can't believe that they do this. This kitten is not sick right? Doesn't have a deadly disease, right? Nothing is wrong with this poor baby right? Then why the hell (pardon my french) are they going to put it down? ARRGHH!! God I hate organizations like that!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Debbie, call KAren she is very smart about these topics! The kitten is not going to be put to sleep. Our group Another Chance Pet Rescue is taking him. What happens at the shelter is that they have to hold them for 5 days before they can be put up for adoption. If there is no room or the cat gets sick then he would likely be PTS but he wouldn't automatically be PTS just becasue 5 days are up. On a good note, they had over 70 adoptions at the shelter this weekend so they have some room..for now but that won't last long :(
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the clarification on RAS! And the update on the baby!!!!!!!! Hooray for ACPR!!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Julie,
      I am so happy that your group will take him in. You guys ROCK! I've talked to you several times in our time of need when we had a shelter (Four-Legged Friends) I was at the shelter at least 6 days a week working there. I loved my babies there, and I miss it terribly! I was just talking to my husband about how much I miss working at the shelter. I don't have that love from all those kitties anymore.I don't see people everyday like I used too. I truly miss it!
      Karen is a great person to contact for help on FIV cats. She's amazing!
      Thanks again for all your wise words!

      Debbie

      Delete