Thursday, June 7, 2012

Fascination

Pictures are of a kitten found last week under a wheel well by a good friend of mine:




This morning was supposed to be the day where little Limpy was going to be trapped - plan was to have this woman go with a drop trap and try to get him/her.  After stopping at my first stop, near Wally's house, I drove by quietly to my next stop, where the trap was supposed to be set.  There sat Lucille, and Big Red, both eyeing my car as it drove slowly past.  I felt so bad.  They know me, they know the time of day, and they know my car.  Funny how smart these animals are.  Same with the next spot, where Limpy has been know to go back and forth from, just a street away.  They know me and they trust me.  I was a little confused though as this woman was supposed to have already been there and hanging around waiting.  I got the call just as I left the next spot that she was running late, but was on her way.  So, I pray she had some luck!  I pray Limpy was around today!

At my next location, there was the kitty that always has a nasty wound on his next.  Huge, raw and red.  I must remember to bring some Doxy with me tomorrow to slip into his food.  Every morning I say that, and every morning I forget that and the camera.  I am so thankful that the weather this week, at least in the mornings, has been perfect.  Not just for my hair -- but for the babies that have to live outside.

And speaking of injuries, at Sparkles and Larry's spot, Larry has what you call....  cauliflower ear??  Not sure of the term, but he has an abcess on his ear.  And he either has a new wound, or part of the abcess broke open.  I must bring him medicine tomorrow also.  I had two cats that had this and they both had to be surgically treated.  They each now have a limp ear.  My Sugar had it so bad she nearly died.  She had to have a tube inserted, etc. and prior to her being treated, she hid in my basement rafters for two weeks before I could get her out.  She was in such pain.  She lost so much weight, which she now greedily continues to put back on!  I hope Larry is not in any pain, and I will bring the meds tomorrow and start him on that.  I was actually able to lift him up onto this porch that I place the food and water down on.  He is SUCH a good boy.  I must find him a home.

My next encounter was again with Marilee, the very paranoid woman who hangs at the lead filled house that I place food and water at.   I roll down my window to greet her and she politely says hello, but she wants nothing to do with me.  I then drove around the corner and not within her sight, observed her.  She stood at the corner with a plastic bag and just picked up these tiny pieces of paper.  She then started walking down the street, after about 10 minutes, and disappeared.  I am fascinated by people, and what makes them tick.  I really should have gone into psychology as a career.  As I drove away, I thought to myself, 'Janine, who is the crazy person here?' 

My last fascinating moment of the day came as I drove back home, and saw a cat just before crazy 'Lucy's" house.  Yes, I continue to drive past there each morning, slowly, and try to see if there are any cats hanging around her door.  Anyways, I saw a cat, and on this street, I just figured it was hungry because its a very poor neighborhood.  There has been lots of violence in the past on this street.  But I feel safe in the mornings here, because most of the crazies are sleeping.  I pulled over and got out of the car with my paper bowls to fill with water and food and placed under a tree, and I watched as two cats started to come toward me.  And just beyond, I could see a young girl standing on her porch watching me.  She then waved to me, and started to come down her steps and come toward me.  As she got close, I asked her if these were her cats and she pointed to one and said thats mine.  Upon further observation, I could see she was a young teenager, and ...  I am not trying to sound mean here ...  but she reminded me of a backwoods poor white girl from the Appalachian area.  She was tall and very thin, had her hair pulled back tight, and I will never forget her teeth.  They were so bad.  Not only were they very uneven, but they were so dirty.  Almost black.  I introduced myself and she stuck her hand out to shake mine.  I asked her some questions, being very friendly with her, and she answered very shyly back at me.  I could see she was giving me the look over, of course I must have looked crazy, but I could tell she was fascinated by me.  We parted ways with me telling her to enjoy her day, and to remember to put food and water out on her porch for all the strays, and she promised to keep a look out for me each morning as I drove by.  I always thought it was just certain neighborhoods, and that most of the poor were black, and never realized how even white people are living in extreme poverty, right under our noses.  Sad.

UPDATE:  Just got word, Limpy has been trapped!  He will be living comfortably in a large crate until he can see a vet next week.  This girl is a GREAT trapper!!  And thanks to Nancy for offering to take him to her vet!! 

I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!” (Rev. 5:13-14).



5 comments:

  1. ...could Larry have mites. I think a bad case can cause what you discribed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey naive white girl, were you born in the silver spoon district and/or blind to humans around you? Many White/Black/Hispanic, etc. are living improvised throughout and have been - "right under our noses." I will agree with you, it is sad. What's sad though is that pretty much no one has to live that way. It's typically a choice people make for themselves and their children. They choose to spend their time and resources on things they shouldn't. We are in America and have the opportunity to live a decent life. If one wants to argue this point, shame on them. The facts are the facts. Even with limited resources and substandard intelligence for that matter, one can have a fairly good life in this country. I do feel sorry for the children born to these lazy ass people. The kids go without, but our tax dollars are still being given to support them. Most important to mention in this post, God bless you for feeding the strays. This, in my book, makes you quite admirable. I basically hate most people anyhow! P.S. You do know me, but I am keeping my name a secret. Hint: I adopted one of your strays whom I love with all my heart! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoever this is (YK!), I just read this. THANK YOU!!! You are so right on with this. Its not stuff I feel I can say in an open forum, wouldn't have the right words anyway, but you sure do. Thank you, and how is my baby? hahhahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EVEN white people? Holy cow - You always thought it was mostly black people who were poor, and it was okay when you thought that? But now that you "realized" that "even white people" are living in poverty - that's SAD???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I quite frequently say things that are taken out of context. I am not trying to sound discriminating. My apologies for any offenses I may have made.

    ReplyDelete