Wednesday, January 12, 2011

As Good as It Gets

But its as worse as it can be. On the Miserable Scale, this morning rates a 10. For me. I can't even begin to rate how miserable it is for those poor babies out there. The meteorologists in this town just can't seem to get it right. I know its not their fault, but if its going to snow a foot, don't say its going to be 3-6 inches. Give it to us straight. If the sun is shining, they will say its raining. I have lost all faith in meteorologists for this city. Never once was there a correct forecast. I trudged through some very deep snow this morning to get to my nine shelters. Most of my shelters are merely lean-to's with towels on the ground behind them. Most are leaning on a surface either facing east or west, so the open sides are facing north or south, where this storm is coming from. I try to stretch a towel out from top to bottom on the side where the snow and wind is coming in, but it just doesn't do the trick, especially when you have high winds. Poor Old Smokey, when I pulled up, he came out of the snow filled shelter on Goodman and Central, his only shelter, only to sit there and wait for me to do the best I could with cleaning it out and filling up the food and water. He was covered in snow before I left. I hope he remains in that shelter for the day. I do the best I can, but on days like this, I can only say a prayer.

6 comments:

  1. have you tried any of these shelter ideas from http://www.habitatforcats.com/ Styrofoam boxes with a small cat sized opening & filled with straw would provide more protection from snow & wind I think. Thanks for your efforts on behalf of the cats. good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is smokey one of the cats that stays at a distance from you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smokey is untrappable. He keeps his distance from me each and every time, and won't fall for a trap. Poor thing is very old and sick. I just cannot get him. But I have been feeding him every morning for nearly two years now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I have built shelters. a class at a teacher's school helped to build four nice shelters, two are out there, waiting on the last two, but not sure who is really using them. I also have the plastic tubs out there, and a dog house, and an igloo, but you need to have protection surrounding those little huts too. there are at least four cats at every spot I go to! and they are territorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried trapping smokey with a drop trap?
    The styrofoam boxes as shelters really do work great, and are virtually instant shelters. they are very warm and pretty much waterproof too. Some of the outdoor cats I take care of actually prefer them to a wooden insulated "real" shelter hut! I highly recommend them for additional shelters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janine,

    I finally found bags of "Dads" cat food so I bought one. I can deliver everything to you this weekend. Is that ok?

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete