Wednesday, January 22, 2020

The Greys


Let's get this light grey beautiful kitten a home!

PINKY CHEW

Let's get this beautiful dark grey boy a home!

JONNY
It was a very quiet morning out there.  24 degrees.  Heatwave.  No signs of anyone.  Clear nights, sunny days, so no need for a board on Niagara only for the bastard to take.  I am still in need of boards.  Winter is not over yet, and the rain is an inevitable part of life.  Food must be covered for these cats so it doesn’t become soggy.  Not even feral cats will eat soggy food.  Mush.  Not sure what it is – would I like mush?  Let's see, I soak my Oreo cookie in milk, and I like that!  Maybe that has something to do with chocolate and sugar.  Do I like mushy cereal?  Sometimes!  Cream of Wheat!  Oatmeal!  I also love the crunchy kind.  Captain Crunch.  OK, I am getting off topic here.  The point is, this person, the one in the yellow Humvee, and he drives a dark-colored BMW, of which I have license plates of both, must be stopped.  On Monday morning, after we had the snowfall and nasty weather which lasted the entire weekend, I discovered when I pulled up here that he had taken the very heavy door I had picked up on the side of the road and had placed there on Sunday.   Evil.  So much evil in this world.

Today I share another heartwarming story from Jen and Todd, the couple that adopted Chance, now named Tobin.  Chance was near death that winter Saturday morning and he was going to be brought into the emergency clinic, with the intention of euthanasia he looked so bad.  Instead, Saturday Sheryl said ‘wait, I will take him and try to get him back to health’, and so she did.  And then this couple wanted to give this older cat a home.  

"It has been just over a year since little Tobin Chance came to live with us. It has been a long year. From his illness to his shyness and adjustment to his cat brother and living with 3 dogs, it has been a lot for him. That would be a lot for a well-adjusted cat that is used to dogs, let alone a guy left on the street. It has been a whole year, and I am convinced something fairly traumatic happened to him, other than the obvious and the related health issues since it has been so hard for him to trust. He’s still afraid of boxes, paper bags and getting “in” anything. I started to accept he would always be my little recluse, spending time by himself and would always be a bit of a hider. I visit him where he is comfortable, spending time with him in his safe places on his own terms. He’s warm, he’s safe, he’s fed, and purring. He’s happy and that’s all that matters.


Then on Tuesday night (367 days later), IT HAPPENED. He tossed away his shell and became part of the family. He came out into the kitchen, then into the living room and hopped up on the ottoman. I gave him snacks for encouragement, and he laid down. I petted him, talked to him and he purred and kneaded his blanket. Then he fell asleep. In the past, I would have to put him out there (and he would leave) or he would quickly walk by and disappear. Since that night, he comes out into the kitchen regularly. Wednesday and Thursday he came into the living room when we get settled for the evening and lays on the ottoman with me. Wednesday night I was so excited I stayed up an extra hour just to be next to him. The dogs pass by him and he is OK, only getting nervous when they get excited or crowd him. If I give him a snack, he ignores them. I feel like I am going to jinx it, but I am hoping he comes out again tonight!! In the last week or so I feel like something has really changed and I am hoping this is just the beginning of more things to come. When I talk to him, he comes out, like he finally wants to be around me (not just because I have the food dish). Honestly, I can’t believe he’s actually doing this. My little boy."


Thanks again, Jen and Todd!

I encourage anyone to share a story about your own pet, or a cat that you may have adopted from me.  OR anything else you want to talk about animal-related!  I am running out of things to say.  I do have my days. 

Have a great day!

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself."

2 comments:

  1. What an Awesome story about Tobin Chance!

    Once again THANK YOU CAT ANGEL for rescuing Tobin and profound thanks to Saturday Sheryl for bringing Tobin back to life.

    Lastly, special thanks to Jen and Todd for opening up their hearts and home to Tobin Chance clearly depicting that kind and caring people can make a significant difference in an abandoned animals life.

    Please consider adopting and therefore giving a forever home to one of Janine's other rescues still in desperate need of a good home.


    Walt Simoni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update for Tobin Chance !
    Also want to thank Jen and Todd for giving him a home.
    He was most likely on his ninth life - so you got him just in time !
    Thank you !

    ReplyDelete