Thursday, January 2, 2020

Feed a Cat for Christmas! LIZ!!!

Thank you LIZ!  For helping to feed MANY cats for Christmas!  Liz makes this donation top honor Sydney and Piper's (now known as Joanie) 2nd Christmas in her home.  These kittens were born at Syd and Johnny's Auto Repair on Bay Street over three years ago.  They had two other siblings.  I had their mom fixed, and she was a fixture at this location (the auto repair allows me to shelter kitties on the side of their garage) until she found the 'apartment complex' shelter across the street on 7th Street.  She has made that awesome shelter her new home.



Liz says that Sydney and Joanie are 'helping to feed other kitties less fortunate than them, this Christmas.'

Thank you Liz!

It was another quiet morning out there.  Thank God.  It may rain tomorrow or Saturday morning, but for now, it was OK.  Saturday Sheryl and I delivered Snuffy and Tommy yesterday to their new home.  Super nice couple.  I think it will turn out well.  Sheryl and I arrived earlier than expected, and the room the kittens were going into wasn’t set up with the food bowls and litter box ready (hubby was out at the store purchasing everything),  but a nice chat was had with new mom, and Dad finally arrived with all the goodies.  I have yet to hear how introductions are going with their sweet dog, who was crated when we got there (as all dogs should be initially when a new cat comes into the home), and their son, who was at Grandma's at the time.  Stay tuned. 

I am reevaluating my adoption process – nothing to do with yesterday – but because of an incident that happened several weeks ago when I brought Marten out to his new home.  The woman, who has since unfriended me on Facebook, had nothing in her house when we arrived.  In this smoke scented house, the existing litterbox she did have for her cat was very dirty, and so was her house, in particular, the bathroom – which was the room I asked where she would be keeping the kitten in at first.  All cats need an introductory room when they are first brought into a new home.  She seemed to not know that I had told her this, so she first showed me her bedroom, where the other cat was sleeping.  There was a lot of stuff on the floor, closet, etc., so I asked to see the bathroom.  The garbage pail was overflowing, and again, the litter box the same.  I thought, well, after you clean out the litter box, this would be the best room in the house I guess.  She did, and then when I asked her about the bowl of food and water, she told me she did not have any kitten food.  This turns out to be a very long story, but after finally driving her 20 minutes into the nearest town to buy kitten food and an ADULT collar, and 20 minutes back, in hindsight, I should have left long before having to drive her anywhere.  This was a decision I made out of compassion, and blind trust.  The woman cried a few different times in our conversation, in which I was very frank about my hesitation leaving the kitten there.  She had obvious issues, but I told her I would give this a week and come back.  She didn’t even have a proper bowl for the food and water – Tupperware containers.  She is NOT poor, she just didn’t have any clean dishes.  I wound up calling the sheriff's office in the town and explained the situation because after not hearing back from her after my last inquiry, I told her I would be taking kitten back.  They could not legally take the kitten but would show up nevertheless.  Turns out she wrote me a lengthy, nasty note, and I decided that she did love the kitten, would keep it as safe as she could, and I would let it be.  I will NEVER do that again.  I must trust my first instinct.  I care too much about others and making them feel bad.  Not any more.

From now on, my adopters must have a clean safe house.  They must have a room ready because 90% of the cats I rescue are scared and will hide.  Some in the rafters or ducts of the house!  So it must be a safe house, and you must have the litter in the box, and the food and water in the bowls when I get there.  Bottom line.





Fancy Pants is ADORABLE.  I have moved him out of the tiny bathroom (I am sure he misses the sink already) and into a finished basement room so that he can move around.  He won't leave you alone and wants nothing but attention, and food.  He's a cutie!

So that’s my story. 

And that’s that.


Have a great day!

"Whatever happens to you, 
you can either see it as a curse 
and suffer it, or you can see it 
as a blessing and make use of it."




1 comment: