Monday, April 29, 2019

Happy Mondaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!



It was a difficult weekend for me getting around. I've been living with hip pain since last June, and its really bad when you can't get comfortable sitting, standing, walking or lying down.  But in four weeks, hopefully it will all be over.  Surgery!  Double Yikes!

I've lost my helpers that I was VERY lucky to have after I fell and broke my ankle in February.  So it’s just Kings, me and Saturday Sheryl.  Me – being the driver for them both.  I am up and out there at 3:30 am. each morning to do the driving to all 20+ locations. I say ‘+’ because if I see a cat as I am driving, I have to pull over and place a dish of food and water.  At the regular locations, I am usually yelling at Kings for one thing or another.  But I have to give him thanks and praise for doing this for me 6 days a week, with his bad back and all.   And of course Sheryl, who doesn’t even read this blog, for helping me  for 5+ years every Saturday, minus a few.   It’s good to get out and see the regular kitties that run to the truck at almost each stop, knowing they will be fed.  I call for them, they know it’s me… 

There is one absence each morning now when I pull up to Short Street.  That is Big Red, who suffered greatly over the winter months.  We tried to trap him, but he alluded the trap, having been trapped many years ago by me on Pennsylvania Avenue as a TNR.  Now its just Mr. Whiskers, who has been here for over 6 years now..  along with the short legged red cat and the black and white bell collar girl.  There is also a grey cat I spot now and then.

Kristin and her husband Darrin are planting a cherry tree on their property, where they will bury Big Red, and name the tree after him.  How thoughtful and touching.   I don’t think I could bury another body on my property, there is no more room.  Each one of these cats (and a dog) I’ve buried were all very special to me.  They all had their own story.  I miss them all so much.

I visited Ariels’ babies this weekend.  They are ADORABLE.  A couple came to meet them over the weekend and fell in love with Kit Kat and Peeps.  So, just waiting to see if the adoption goes through.  They are going into their fifth week this week.  I agree that kittens can be adopted out at 8 weeks of age, but must be 2lbs before spaying or neutering.  Today, they are way too young to be taken from momma.   My policy is also to not adopt out until they are spayed/neutered, but I have made exceptions.  But those exceptions are ALWAYS at the appointments set for them.

Petunias Babies!  (click on pics to see up close!)



They were photographed this weekend by Jenn, my former foster, teacher, chaplain and mother extraordinaire.  I am waiting on special collars for them, that will help identify who is who with colors, and will then give them names.  I am embarrassed, I still don’t know sexes.  It is very hard for me to get around to more than two places on a weekend.  I have a walker.  I hurt.  Momma Sue foster has about 12 steps DOWN to the basement, and then 12 steps back up.  Youch!  My hip hurts just thinking about going down and up again!  And my sister has the same amount!  But, thanks to Jenn, she has agreed to take them over from my sister, who is also a great foster, but she has a ton going on in her life as we all do, so she is grateful for the break.  And Jenn has only two steps! J  So, by this weekend, we will have names and sex attached to these beauties!

ANNIE BANANIE

JASPER

SABRINA

PARSLEY

HERMIE

JULE
LARRY
JUNEBUG

JOEY


Annie, Larry, Sabrina, Jule, Parsley, Hermie, Jasper, Joey and Junebug.  The forgotten ones.  We must step up and find them permanent homes.  Annie and Jasper are supposed to be going to a man’s home in Ohio in mid-May.  I don’t think their new adopter is too fussy about who he gets.  He just wants two so they are not lonely without him when he is working.   I am SO torn as to who should go, personality wise.  Both Annie and Jasper are very shy, and would never get the socialization they deserve.  Maybe Annie and Larry – Larry would teach her to come out, show her how to trust her new human.  Maybe Jasper could be adopted out to another person.  Sabrina should have a single cat home.   Jule would be a very good cat also in a single cat home.  Parsley and Hermie are hiders, but will trust their human after a bit as they do with foster mom Carol.  My heart breaks for them.  I just don’t know what to do.

There is an all grey female cat on Central Park, friendly, but i suspect is pregnant.  I was hoping someone would offer to foster.


Kittens are still in the hut on Webster.  They are only about 4-5 days old, eyes still shut, mom still running out of hut when we pull up and call for her.  Another situation that I have on my mind.

That’s all I have for today.   Make it a good one!

"It's not happiness that brings us gratitude.  It's gratitude that brings us happiness."

No comments:

Post a Comment