Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Tuesday Meanderings...

I forgot to mention about the dead chickens I happened upon on Sunday morning (at 4 am.).

I was driving on Central Park and doing a U-turn on Sixth Street to do my colony on the other side, and as I was rounding that corner, I noticed two plastic bags on the road.  I pulled up beside them, looked down, and saw two dead chickens.  Feathers, beaks, legs and heads fully attached - minus one head that had been run over.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing, but I felt so bad for the chickens. I knew there were chickens, live, at the public market each week, as you can hear them squawking - and it makes me sick.  But why were they in bags, dead?  I got out, and picked up each one, their head and feet sticking out, and brought it to the grass to place them on.  I had to go back to get the head of the other, and set it down also with its body.  I had no idea what had happened to them. 

I was talking to a friend about it later in the day on Sunday and it hit me.  Were these chickens used in cockfighting?  Should I have reported it?  Ugh.  I drove past them again yesterday, Monday morning, and they were still there on the side of the median.  I was hoping I would see a police car patrolling so I could tell them.  Investigate, do something!  Justice for these poor chickens!

This morning, as I pulled up to my spot on Second Street, I noticed two girls standing there, about 100 feet away, watching.  I thought, 'oh I've seen those girls standing on the corner at Bay Street before, plying their wares to anyone willing to stop and pay for them.'  I always wondered what kind of lives these girls lived.  Where do they live, do they have family, children?  Well, just before I drove off, one of the girls came toward me, and I thought 'oh she's going to ask me for money, or a cigarette'.  She didn't.  She asked me if I had any extra cat food.  She seemed very kind, and sweet.  She said she had seen me around doing what I do, and thanked me for doing it.  I reached behind and found a small bag of food, and handed it her, and then reached into my bag and said, 'here, give your kitty an extra treat' and gave her a can of wet food.  I asked if her cat was fixed, and she said yes, and she had it declawed too.  I thought, OMG, she thinks that a good thing!~  I told her, well, its cruel to do that to a cat.  She really had no idea.  I told her it was cutting off the first knuckle, like our fingers, I showed her, and then told her that the kitty had no defense if it got outside.  She felt horrible, but I made her feel good about keeping a cat, and having it fixed no less.  And then I drove off.  Well, that answered one question.  These girls of the night - some do have compassion for animals. 

And now for a cute kitten update.  So, the Melville/Parsells August Kittens Rescue - thanks to the kind couple that live behind one of my shelters who trapped them - Joey, who is Teddy, Luke, Daisy, Bo and Chase's brother, is enjoying his new life, that is for sure.  Here he is with his adoptive older brother Frank.  His new mom keeps me posted nearly daily with his crazy antics.  Do you think they are getting along?




Have a great day!

"Its an honor and blessing to be able to open your eyes after a night's sleep.  
Give thanks every morning."

1 comment: