Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Interesting Facts

It was a very wet morning out there this morning.  Good God.  Those poor angels.  I am so glad they have the little shelter I provide them.  The food would surely get soaked if there weren't some cover for them. Some are covered by a roof on a porch of a vacant house.  Others, just a board and a tarp over the food.  Until 'the man' comes along and trashes it.  Seriously, how can people be so cruel.  There are four locations where I am just waiting for my pitiful boards/shelters will be removed and destroyed and thrown to curb.

Kings put together some interesting facts for me:

Here is what I do/go through for the Beechwood kitties:


I feed:

45 pounds of DRY food per day

315 pounds of DRY food per week

1,350 pounds of DRY food per month

16,200 pounds of DRY food per year!


I feed:

12 pounds of WET food per day

84 pounds of WET food per week

364 pounds of WET food per month

4,370 pounds of WET food per year.


On average I am able to TNR 50 cats per year, so they are no longer capable of reproducing which only adds to the numbers which require feeding, sheltering and caring for.   This requires constant attention - which I am not able to do financially, nor are there enough vets to do this on a low cost basis, nor can I do it alone with a full time job - to stop the numbers getting out of control all over again.

Hebard Street, one of my very first locations many many years ago, had nearly 20 cats trying to shelter under an old car.  I no longer have to go there.

Second Street, where Paul lives, I no longer have to go there.  Cats have been adopted out or have lived out their natural lives.

Public advocacy programs through social media, radio and television news programs are what is needed to get the word out and get the City of Rochester to do more about this situation where so many cats are suffering.

Those are some facts to ponder.

The cat I trapped from Webster/Ferndale turns out to be a male, but most likely the baby daddy.  I still need help getting the mom cat trapped!

Red kitty from Garson/Baldwin is now named TIMBER.  His foster Mom Kim picked him up, and this is what she had to say this morning:  Was talking softly to kitty this morning, telling him he needed to come out and tell me his name. Suddenly there he was for a minute, just looking at me- he is beautiful- then he came over to me and just fell over so I could pet him. I think his name should be Timber. What do you think?

SWEET!  Pictures coming soon!

Have a great day!





No comments:

Post a Comment