Tuesday, November 14, 2017

TNR Tuesday!



November 14th - Its Janine Wagner Day!  HA!  If you will all recall, Karon and Walt Simoni nominated me for this prestigious title several years ago.  Thank you Marie for reminding me this morning with your sweet note!  :)

Today is my last TNR Tuesday, for a while.  I tried to make the best of it.  I was allowed two spots, which meant setting three traps. I always do one more just in case I don't get one in the other two.  I placed one on Garson, where I've rescued several litters from this summer, but still never seemed to trap a post partum kitty since then, another on Ferndale Crescent and Webster Avenue, where MaryLeigh continues with her shenanigans, and one on Parsells, #2 spot to be exact.  Where the tenants asked me to move the shelters over the summer from the bushes because they were scared of the raccoons.  Since then, I've replaced two back in this spot.  I've seen no raccoons, and those cats need shelter.  I just rescued Muffin from this spot last week.

I drove madly around this area feeding here and there, and then checking on the traps.  The one on Ferndale and Webster I had to check on more frequently because of MaryLeigh coming around and perhaps stealing, but for sure shutting the trap door, which she has done in the past.  Nothing.  Zip over to Garson, nothing.  Over to Parsells, nothing.  So I continued to feed in other spots where I knew most kitties were already eartipped and I've not had a problem with kittens being there this summer.  Then back to Ferndale and Webster, nothing.  I decided I needed to move it to another location because the kitties were not falling for the bait - fresh tuna.  I went to the trap, and saw the food gone inside, but the door was still up and waiting...  Then I realized, that trap is broken.  The trip plate doesn't move when you latch the door open.  I left food down and off I went, disappointed.  I went back to Parsells, nothing.  I picked up that trap and set it on Melville, where I've been hoping to get a kitten that I suspected to be pregnant.  Huge belly.  For a six month old looking kitten.  I set it and went to Garson.  BOOM.  Gotcha Goosey.

GOOSEY from GARSON

Then finished up my feedings, and checked on Melville.  Which by the way, Melville is still a spot of contention.  This morning, my dishes were removed from under the tree on the sidewalk.  The board in the back of the lot is still leaning against a fence, which plates under neath it.  Thank God they haven't removed anything back there in over a week.  So by now, I was done, and drove home, with the intention of driving back to check on trap one more time after I did my normal thing I do when I get back home - clean out the wet food containers and get tomorrow's food ready.  I drove back and VOILA!  I got the little kitten that I suspected was pregnant.   Meet Mary Ann:


MARY ANN from MELVILLE

I have no clue of her condition, won't know until late this afternoon, but one thing I know, both will be going back to the streets tomorrow.  I just can't save them all.  IF anyone is so inclined to help with the cost of vetting these two kitties - my bill is astronomical right now there - the number is 585.288.0600 to make a donation.  Every dollar helps!

The Ideal Shelter.





Someone made this shelter for me years ago.  Its sat in my garage for I don't know how long.  I want to show you how wonderful it is.  The front has a little ledge (which COULD be a little wider and longer), above that is a little roof (which COULD be a little wider and longer), and it has a front and back opening.  The material is just enough to withstand wind, but delicate enough to allow an animal to get in and out.  The legs are tall enough to deter rats, and other rodents.   Inside is a cozy little insulated area with straw that has a nestled-in spot that is home for a very lucky homeless kitty.  The shelter is currently at the wonderful Syd and Johnny's auto garage on Bay Street - the only business owner around that would allow animal shelters on his property to save a cats life for.  To have more of these shelters placed around Rochester would be wonderful.  Any body out there willing to make some of these?

Have a great day every body!

"The meaning of life is
to find your gift.  The
purpose of life is to 
give it away."


3 comments:

  1. Happy J.W. Day !
    To celebrate, I'll build you one of those perfect shelters !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel, great �� way to celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK - I have the wood, and drew up construction drawings. Ill make mine with twice the front porch deck width, and the overhang will match the width and length of the front deck.
    I'm making it 24 inches wide and 32 inches deep overall.
    Im making my legs knee-high. Ill build just the floor and set a cardbox box on it to simulate the enclosed hutch and set shelby on it with a bowl of food (HA ! she will love that) and take a pic.

    ReplyDelete