Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Wednesday Musings....

Shelters.  I wanted to clarify something I said about shelters yesterday.  I got to thinking that people that have made me shelters in the past might think I was saying that their shelters weren't good enough.  I have had a few people who have made me - what I call - kitty condos...  they are beautiful handcrafted wooden shelters, with legs as well, that will survive the test of time, and last through all sort of extreme weather.  I have those connected with one or two others and this sort of THOSE are gold to me.  And the cats. 

The 'ideal' shelter I referred to yesterday is a good stand-alone shelter and its perfect for areas where there may be rats.  And obviously, the higher the shelter is, the less likely raccoons and opossums can climb up to get the food. 

We are due for winter weather beginning this weekend.  I am dreading this.  Dreading because there are two locations that have no protection for these cats I feed at.  One is where Mary Leigh continues to trash the food and paper plates and bowls I leave on the porch of this vacant house on Webster and Ferndale Crescent, and the other is on Melville, where the man that I wrote a note to could have cared less about any of it.  He continues to trash my stuff even though I am now placing this stuff on City property, behind his lot.   I need Mary Leigh to be caught over and over and confronted, but I have a full time job and cannot sit there and watch for her.  I feel that if she is confronted, over and over, she will get a message.  I also wish the police would continue to visit her, and ask her to stop.  But I don't think its on the top of their list, nor the bottom.  Her porch is encased in plastic sheeting and she has boxes all over it with newspaper stuffed in them where several cats 'sleep.'  She also has a heater on the porch.  Fire hazard?  Nah, her house is the last place they want to pay a visit to.  She is harmless, but if she feels threatened, she uses her phone to record, and the police camera on the street as her 'protection'.

The kitten I trapped yesterday on Melville, Mary Ann,  that I suspected to be pregnant was not, and I had to let her go this morning after she spent a miserable night on my porch.  Its a wonder she was not, nor was her sister Butterball (not sure if they are actual sisters, but both the same age, and from the same location).  Goosey, from Garson, turned out to be male, and ALREADY NEUTERED.  And yes, I still have to pay for the 'surgery' even though already done.  He was let back out last evening.  I didn't want to hold him hostage any longer than necessary.

That's all I got today folks!

Have a great day!

"Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day."



1 comment:

  1. Don't want to rain on your parade..but..opossums and raccoons are EXCELLENT climbers, spending most of their time in trees.

    ReplyDelete