Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Today is TNR Tuesday and I only got one male kitty.  It all started on Bay Street near 7th where I set a trap in hopes of getting the red kitty with the very bad URI.  I then drove off to set another trap on Central near 5th, in the back of the dark lot there, where there are at least FIVE unspayed/neutered kitties.  I then went and fed on Short Street, and then to check on the trap on Bay, where I found a tabby that was already ear-tipped.  I had to let him go.  At that point, no one was around, so I lifted the trap, set down some food with medicine, and off I went to feed on 7th.  Then to each spot there after, all the while checking on the second trap.  Finally, I got to Second and Pennsylvania, where the beautiful, young, sweet red tabby rolls over when I arrive each morning, waiting for his precious wet food he craves so much, and I grabbed him and threw him into the carrier I had set up.  He’s not so sweet now, as you can see, but boy is this cat adoptable.  Would love it if someone could open their home to him. 
 
Spencer - Trapped!

Spencer - NORMAL  :)

So this is another $60 today for ‘Spencer’.   This TNR will be costing me a pretty penny this summer, so if anyone is compelled to helping out in some way, I thank you.  

Kittens are ready - won't you please spread the word!  Here are some pics from this morning, at play!  CLICK ON THEM TO SEE UP CLOSE!








Feral and stray cats are the greatest source of cat overpopulation in the United States. A large percentage of feral cats are euthanized each year and governments are trying to implement “catch and kill” programs to decrease the cat population. Feral cats deserve to be treated humanely and be given a chance at a healthy outdoor life. Wikipedia defines a feral cat as a free-roaming cat that is born and raised in the wild. A stray cat is a pet cat that has been abandoned or lost and has reverted back to its “wild” instinctual self in order to survive. These cats have also been referred to as alley cats, street cats, or outside cats.
In the U.S. alone, only 3% of free-roaming cats are neutered or spayed, leaving all the unneutered cats to continue reproducing and growing the feral cat population. One female cat has the ability to produce roughly 100 kittens in seven years1. This high rate of reproduction among feral cats is why feral cats account for 80% of the cats that barrage animal shelters. In California alone, animal control agencies and shelters for cat-related expenses spend more than $50 million per year.
Sadly, out of the 80% of feral cats that are turned in to animal shelters, 72% of these cats are subjected to euthanasia. Once a cat is turned in at a pound or shelter, there are only 3 possible outcomes for that cat: being adopted; reunited with their owner; or, being euthanized.

"I would rather make mistakes in kindness and compassion than work miracles in unkindness and hardness."

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, those babies are so adorable!! Is that George babysitting them? Your house is like a kitten nursery. :)
    Good job getting Spencer. He looks very sweet.

    ReplyDelete