Friday, March 13, 2015

Fame and Fortune. Not.


Don't forget to click on the pics to see up close:

2nd Street

7th Street

It was tough going out this morning, knowing that Morgan, on Short, and Chico, on Central, wouldn't be there anymore.  It was such a hard day yesterday for me.  My eyes hurt at the end of the day, but I finished off the day with a drink with friends - a muddled cucumber, vodka and club soda drink to be exact.  DELISH.  My new summer drink.  So refreshing!  I love my wine, but dieting, you have to watch your sugars, and I hear vodka has less sugar, so thats my diet strategy.  :)

Regardless, I felt their loss.  I did not see Morgan's companion, Milly, the little sweetie that was his sidekick.  I pray she finds another friend to hang with.  At Chico's spot, I replaced the styrofoam container that I destroyed trying to get him out from his deathbed.  There is still so much snow on top of this shelter that I couldn't position it way back, but as soon as the snow melts, I will be fixing this up a little better.

Pennsylvania Ave

3rd Street

Add caption

The temperature was 23 when I went out, so the snow was cold and crunchy.  I did not sink with each step I took, I was able to walk on top of the snow which made it much easier for me to get to the shelters, some far back in vacant lots.

On Garson, I saw the Hayward black cat with the injured ear - he walked right up to me.  He was starving.  I put food down on the sidewalk, and continued on my trek to the back of the lot calling for him, hoping he would follow, which he did.  I replaced a blanket there, and a towel, hoping he would benefit from the dry warm blanket while he ate, but he didn't seem interested for some reason, and began to follow me back to my car.  He is a hisser, so I hesitated in scooping him up.  Black cats - 99% of them are SWEETHEARTS. He could be hissing because he is scared, or hurt.  I am not sure which.  Regardless, when I rescue, I have to have a plan.  Please consider fostering a cat, IF you can't adopt one.  As the old saying goes - "Saving one cat will not change the world, but surely for that one cat, the world would change forever."


Raccoons are back!  Skunks are back!  I caught a raccoon on my porch this morning, poor thing looked pretty thin.  Was going to place the food outside the porch for him, but then thought better of it!  Anyone who's been to my house knows I feed a cat - Annabelle - that hasn't let me touch her in all the years I've been feeding her.  She has a heated pillow on a chair on the porch that she sleeps on every night.  Poor thing, I can never move even if I wanted to!


Thats it for now.  Oh, by the way, I made the local paper.  Not a flattering photo, and remember I had several layers of clothes on in the video.  I am much younger and prettier in person!  :)

Here is the link:  http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2015/03/12/irondequoit-woman-feeds-sterilizes-stray-cats-rochester/70164198/

Have a great day!

"They don't care what car you drive.  
They don't care who you know.  
They don't care what you wear.  
They don't care where you live.  
They only care that you're there."

4 comments:

  1. At the risk of being repetitive...

    For those new to this blog: There is the second annual "Meow and Chow" fundraiser currently scheduled for Saturday, July 18 at the Rush Creekside Inn. Last year's event was a great success and here is hoping the one this year will help Janine even more! If you are on Facebook, here is a link to the event... Click "going" and come join in the fun!

    https://www.facebook.com/events/518827301596113/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave!! Yes, the fundraiser this year will be even more fun than last year ( and it was a blast last year) as we have some new fun ideas up our sleeve. I hope everyone will mark their calendars. The Creekside is a great place and we will be in the outdoor pavilion so you can enjoy the summer weather while you help animals!
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Front page on the Democrat and Chronicle - great job Janine! Hope this gets you and the kitties the attention you need and deserve! Wendy B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going ! want to get "celebrity" autograph :) greta story Janine, hope they do regular updates on you and the Kittys, i think there is enough interest in you and what you do to warrant it xoxox

    ReplyDelete