Monday, March 23, 2015

Babies!

That had to be a cop that posted Friday's comment.  :)  Thanks for not giving me a ticket you mean-ass po po.  :) 

I've had a trace of a sore throat that has been lingering since end of last week, and its been bothering me all weekend.  I took some cough medicine because I've also had a dry cough that is nagging me - the kind of cough medicine I love - prescription.  Makes me loopy if I have enough, but also puts me into a deep sleep.  I love it.  But if I do take the prescribed amount, its still in my system when I get up in the morning, and that's not good, so I took just enough to stop the cough overnight.  So that started my weekend. 

Petey - Sunday Morning (Parsells)

Paulie - Sunday Morning (Parsells)
On Saturday, my usual cleaning and cooking day, the heating element in my oven caught fire, so now I have no oven.  Anyone who knows me knows I love to cook, but baking anything I had planned went kaput.  I did, however, ask a friend to borrow her oven, so as I was going out the door to her house with my spaghetti squash casserole, the phone rang.  It was an elderly woman by the name of Phyllis who had seen the article in the paper about me, and went on to say that there were three newborn kittens in the doghouse on her deck.  She said it was the mom's second litter, and she wondered if I could help her.  Sure enough, totally freaked out, I drove over there - which by the way her house is in between two of my feeding stations - she lives on Garson!~  I peeked inside the dog house when I arrived, and there were three baby kittens.  Mom had just run out upon hearing me walk up.  I had already tried to contact a girl that specializes in newborns, but I couldn't get in touch with her.  I was FRANTIC and I panicked!  I called RAS (Rochester Animal Services) and tried to get as much information as I could to make an intelligent decision - I didn't know what to do with newborns, I am just not good with that.  But I also didn't want them to die so I had to make the decision to have them come get the kittens, but I also knew that I didn't want to tear them away from their Mommy, and how hard it would be for them to survive without Mama's milk.  I also thought that they would be euthanized, most likely, at the shelter.  Please remember, I panic when I am confronted with a dire situation like this one.  I don't think rationally.  Now looking back, I could have made a few more phone calls to another rescue I know of - but my cell phone died!  

Thank GOD I was able to reach this girl who told me that YES, she would get the kittens and try to trap the mom.  Well, she did get the kittens, and she was successful in trapping mom, and got another calico girl at the same time.  GREAT news!  Kudos to the woman, Phyllis, for having the heart to care about these animals.  Not only does she provide the somewhat decent shelter for the strays, but she also puts a bowl of food out for them.  I just love that woman.  Take a look at these pictures of them!





 
So, even though I don't consider this a rescue for me, its a rescue for these precious cats!  Thank GOD for this woman to reach out to me, thank GOD I didn't ignore it, and thank GOD for Diane for going out of her way and taking these babies and caring for them.

"The best portion of a good man's life;
his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love."

6 comments:

  1. Wow!! How FANTASTIC that the babies are with their momma and will now have great lives due to you and Phyllis and Diane and the reporter from the paper who did the story. If any one of these links in the chain wasn't there, these lives of these innocent creatures would be either over soon, or very hard. YAY!!!!! And the calico girl looks beautiful! How old do you think she is? She looks longed haired to me. Is she? Great job everyone ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome awesome work for mumma cat and her babies Janine , you are the best, i should imagine you can pull a white rabbit out of a hat ! love love love your work xoxox ps id rather a ticket, than anything else he could give me, ha ha, just sayin " RPD rock !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, what a good deed getting that MaMa kitty and her babies off the streets in this cold. Thank goodness she is with them to nurse them. I hope they have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can help with the cost to spay Momma cat when the time comes. Just let me know. -carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This IS a rescue for you! I am putting you down for 5 cats today!! If it wasn't for you, they wouldn't be rescued. Yes, there were other wonderful kind-hearted people who rescued them too. But you are the hub of this rescue wheel today. :)
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that motion!!!!!!!. If it weren't for your daily sacrifices and tireless efforts Janine, you would not have received the media exposure that ultimately led to Phyllis's reaching out to you and the subsequent remarkable rescue. Great job!!!. (Cat Angel).


      Walt Simoni

      Delete