Thursday, March 5, 2015

Sawyer

Click on this picture and look at those eyes...  on both boys!  BEAUTIFUL!

Sawyer and Brady
Sawyers new Mom says:

Thought you would like an update on Mister Sawyer, aka SoyBean. He's delightful, snuggly, sweet and funny(even when he's not following directions!). I have double sided tape on strategic corners of furniture! I have rubbed his sisal post with catnip and even rubbed treat bits there. A friend gave him a new toy..ppffft! But, a magazine note about 'clickers'...like dog trainers use. So, when he does scratch the sisal post, I click a pen(it said that works as well as buying a pet store one) and give him a treat. Sometimes it works well. 

Counter tops! Hmmm, I have read about deterrents. Cookie sheets placed on the edge so that they clatter and fall and spook a kitty. Rather than spraying a cat with water which is after the fact and only gives the message to be afraid of the owner. So far.............hmmmm. Nope, I have found he can jump past them. I am keeping house better now and putting things away. Sometimes he still is UP there! Rascal.

Socially, he's a LOVE. When a contractor came to do some stair lift repairs was here (twice). Sawyer went right over. Mr. Greeter! He also laid (lay?)on the floor and watched at the top of the stairs. When the fella went to bottom.....Sawyer went along, laid (lay?) near him the whole time! And, after the work, I was at the kitchen table, we were chatting. Sawyer is near us all the time. Brady arrived, sat on bed in here (offfice) He picked Sawyer up...Sawyer snuggled on Brady's lap! We LOVE him.

Remember, Sawyer was rescued from Sixth Street, living in squalor behind the vacant house where Buttons and Whiskers still are.  She's a great mom, and I couldn't be happier.

It was 16 degrees out this morning, and about an inch to two inches of new snow had fallen.  Its getting ridiculous for me to walk out there.  I thank God every day that I haven't broken anything. I fall at least once a day when my leg begins to sink down into the snow when I slide off that narrow paths I've created, but just pick myself back up. The snow is soft.  Its so peaceful and quiet out in the morning when I go.  Someone asked me why I don't go in the daylight - I need to stay under the cover of darkness so that people don't see or notice my shelters.  People can be so mean, and trash the shelters.  Mornings are safer than nighttime also. Ask a cop, they will tell you.  Even the criminals have to sleep.

I held Buttons in my arms this morning, he is such a good kitty.  He and his companion, Whiskers, are starving by the time I get there.  They meow for me to place their food.  I removed a blanket inside this shelter on 6th street, where I believe something died inside there, and I think the blanket was full of cat spray or urine, so that might help with the smell.  I can't imagine how many rats have crawled over that blanket, so I held the blanket at arms length to be brought home and washed.  Kristin has offered to come help me check out the shelters inside that large shelter there.  We will have to remove the heavy layers of snow from the top first, then peel the tarp off, then open up each of the four totes/huts that are under there and either remove a dead animal, and/or replace straw.  Then it will be good to go, until it gets warm and the creepy family that lives there will try to trash it.  Nothing is sacred.

Thats it for today.  I thank you for reading my stuff - its been a long winter so the theme of each day doesn't change much, so again, I thank you for your support!

Have a nice day!

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no help at all."



5 comments:

  1. Got my key board fixed J ! i still read the blog every day tho, i look forward to it That young boy should do a TV comercial with the kitty, they are very appealing i think. They keep telling us the thaw is coming....every day we think of you and the poor kittys, just want it to be better for you and them xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY.....a good idea - a commercial with Brady and Sawyer! I am very lucky to be Brady's gramma and Sawyer's "momma". MANY thanks to you, Janine for all the LOVE WORK that you do. And, thank you for Sawyer(cookie sheets on my counter top and all!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that lemon scent cats hate. Perhaps a lemon scented spray (like pledge) could be sprayed on the counter in attempts to act as a deterrent?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buy a cat tower - tallest you can find - cats are vertical animals

    ReplyDelete
  5. True, a Tall cat tower does take the stress out of a multi cat house hold, and even just for a single kitty, they love it and spend most of their time on it.

    ReplyDelete